The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is responsible for a wide variety of technical tasks that support all of the Land Development Section’s work activities. Responsibilities include providing both technical and administrative support for the project management activities of the Section. These responsibilities include but are not limited to electronic construction plan review services, rezoning review support, GIS support, transportation engineering field investigations, project research, and database administration as needed. The position will also assist the Land Development Section Manager in with various initiatives to improve internal processes and policies that affect the Section. Additionally, the Project Coordinator will serve as a liaison for intra- and interdepartmental teams that support both the Land Development Section and the Transportation Department. The position requires good communication, organization, and customer service skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support for land development permitting reviews
- Tracking, prioritization and notification of workload for Project Managers o Identification and coordination with other CDOT departments
- Perform portions of land development permitting reviews including sketch plan reviews
- Serve as the CDOT representative for presubmittal and sketch plan meetings with developers and engineers
- Assists in the Comprehensive Transportation Review process in both review and tracking of trip generation, multimodal assessments, and transportation demand management assessments
Provide support for rezoning reviews
- Perform trip generation
- Assist in setup and review of transportation memos
- Perform other information gathering tasks as assigned
- Serve as the CDOT representative for preapplication meetings with developers and engineers
- Generate and manipulate GIS information and mapping using a variety of sources and formats
- Serve as Land Development Section’s representative for internal committees
- Assists in the Traffic Impact Study review process and tracking
- Provide reporting and technical support for electronic database (Accela)
- Provide engineering and field support services for the Land Development Section and perform related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the core principles of civil and transportation engineering
- Ability to comprehend and apply design standards from concept to construction
- Demonstrated experience with transportation software (ArcGIS, AutoCAD/Microstation, Synchro, ITE Trip Generation)
- Demonstrated experience with interpreting construction documents and agreements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook), Adobe Acrobat software, Accela, and various electronic database platforms
- Very strong organizational skills, customer service skills, and ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences
- Ability to manage the delivery of professional services to many internal and external customers and communicate strong interpersonal skills such as tact, active listening, respect, and calmness
- Engineering-Intern (EI) certification is preferred
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work or a degree in civil engineering at the bachelor or graduate level with an emphasis on traffic or transportation engineering and one (1) year of relevant experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, an abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
Bachelor's Level Degree - Engineering and one year relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.