The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Planning and Design Engineer will work under the supervision of an Engineering Program Manager in the Aviation Department at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). They will assist project managers in the development of future airport projects, assist inspection staff in field inspection of airfield and roadway projects under construction, and participate in coordination of resolving conflicts between existing utility facilities and proposed public works projects. This position requires use of local, state, and federal specifications (FAA standards) and regulations for development of projects. Work requires the use of technical expertise, judgment and discretion. Work involves considerable contact with the public, contractors, and other airport employees.
- Works hours based on assigned projects. Schedule subject to irregular hours, including evenings and weekends based on assignment; also, schedule subject to change and emergency calls back to work.
- Valid driver’s license with no more than 6 points and the ability to obtain and maintain city driving permit.
- Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists Engineering Program Managers in the implementation of a multi-Billion-dollar Capital Investment Program at CLT.
- Coordinates tasks within larger construction, maintenance, or rehabilitation projects for airport facilities supporting Engineering Program Manager. Reports significant issues to Program Manager, and Project Managers.
- Liaises with construction inspection staff for projects at CLT as directed.
- Prepares reports and cost estimates.
- Assists in Master scheduling, resource forecasting, budgeting and procurement of consultants for design services of CIP projects.
- Uses Project Controls software (e-Builder) in order to interface with contractors and consultants on the answering of RFIs, Submittals, and Pay Applications.
- Supports project management activities (project scope, schedule, budget, quality and design management) and performs technical discipline tasks (research, reports, facilitation of specifications/plan preparation).
- Responds to calls outside of normal work hours, and returns to work as needed to resolve urgent problems 24/7/365.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of basic principles of a public works project lifecycle.
- Skills to interpret technical plans and specifications.
- Ability to use project controls software, and analyze schedules.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to maintain good working relationships with tenants, clients, contractors, management, coworkers and the general public, and represent the Airport in a professional manner.
- Proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Adobe, and Bluebeam, and with mobile devices such as tablet computers.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field, and no experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties. One year of relevant experience preferred and prefer licensure as an Engineering Intern (E.I.), or ability to obtain within one year of employment.
Bachelor's Level Degree - Engineering.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.