The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
We are currently seeking Airfield Maintenance Technician I’s to join our Field Maintenance Division to perform various manual tasks of average difficulty in construction, maintenance, and repair of airport property and grounds such as, but not limited to: runway and taxiway environments, terminal apron pavements and non-impervious areas, airport parking lot pavements and non- impervious areas, and airport roads. Assigned tasks may include removal and application of airfield markings, mowing, operating heavy equipment, and operating snow equipment during inclement weather.
- This position requires a flexible work schedule with availability to work 2nd and 3rd shift. Ability to work overtime when required by assignment, inclement weather or urgent/emergency situations. Subject to emergency calls back to work. This is an essential position.
- Valid CDL-B preferred with no more than 6 points or the ability to acquire within one year. Ability to obtain and maintain City driving permit. Ability to obtain MAT endorsement within six months of employment.
- Certain criminal convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore impact the ability to employ or retain employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs manual tasks and operates small tools and small equipment.
- Inspects assigned tools and equipment for readiness and safety.
- Completes related records and reports.
- Performs related manual labor.
- Perform job duties while complying with TSA security requirements.
- Perform Job duties that require operating vehicles or heavy equipment in/on and around active runway and taxiway environments while follow instructions provided by FAA traffic controllers and following airfield signage, lighting and paint marking instructions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to read and write sufficiently to complete records and reports.
- Knowledge of safety precautions and work hazards involved in the operation of equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in the operation of equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner with co-workers, airport tenants and the public.
- Successful candidate must successfully pass and obtain Movement Area Training (MAT) Endorsement within the first 6 months of employment in order to maintain employment.
High School graduation/GED and at least one year experience operating heavy equipment, or if no high school diploma/GED, three years of experience required or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties. Must be familiar with or have the ability to become familiar with FAA part 139 standard requirements for the airfield environment, TSA airport security requirements, and FAA part 77 standard requirements.
Three years related work experience
High School Graduate or Equivalent and one year related work experience
Required: CDL-B within 12 months of employment
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.