The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte's Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partnership agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Charlotte Douglas International Airport which ranks as the 5th busiest airport in the United States and serves as a HUB for American Airlines. With a forward-thinking philosophy and a focus on constant growth, CLT sees itself as an Airport of the future.
This position will be responsible for leading medium to large scale IT projects for the Charlotte Douglas International Airport with a primary focus on new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System to support Human Resources, Finance, Budget, Procurement, Project and Grant Accounting during implementation and post-implementation. This position will also be involved in seeking opportunities for enhancements that will benefit the Charlotte Douglas International Airport in the areas of document management and financial/budget applications integrations.
The Project Manager will provide direction to internal and external non-technical/technical stakeholders involved in the ERP project. This position will assist with the tracking of progress toward project milestones for Airport divisions, identify resourcing needs and assist with communications between the ERP Project Team and Aviation to ensure deliverables are met related to the overall project schedule. The position will lead and guide projects utilizing PMBOK and Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) best practices and governing framework. The Project Manager is accountable and responsible for ensuring that project results contribute positive business value and meets agreed upon scope, cost, schedule, and objectives associated with the ERP implementation and post-implementation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads, plans, coordinates, tracks, and delivers project of medium to large complexity utilizing enterprise established project methodology/framework and processes. Primary project focus ERP and other document management and financial/budget applications integrations.
• Leads the project team and manages performance, identifies resourcing needs, and facilitates communication to ensure understanding of objectives and assignments and determine progress
• ERP Project Implementation and Post-Implementation. Oversee Aviation ERP Change Management Program
Ensure city processes are followed and assist with development of new processes as needed for the ERP project
Oversee the mapping of project requirements to Aviation business goals.
Assist with on-going mapping of existing and future-state Aviation business process documentation.
Coordinate data clean-up of information in financial system including the removal of redundant detail and stale historical data to ensure only active financial detail, financial account string information and project activity is valid.
Coordinate with project team to ensure detail that meets recommended retention periods to ensure accuracy and financial reporting requirements.
Coordinate with project team on security and permissions configuration on role-based user accounts
Assist with the creation of new string elements: worktags, cost centers and revenue/expense categories to provide detailed and accurate financial reporting and audits.
Assist with the development dashboards and maintenance of customized dashboards, and customized reports for end-users.
Coordinate ERP testing and data validation/reconciliation and track issues
Assist with the development of Aviation ERP training materials and coordinate training.
Assist with systems integration and ongoing maintenance in ERP.
• Control the flow of project related information
• Develop and maintain the overall project plans from start to finish complete with scope, schedule, cost, and resources required
• Proactively identify, manage, monitor and facilitate resolution of project risks by developing mitigation strategies
• Interact with business department stakeholders to understand business and technical requirements, propose solutions, and maintain positive relationships
• Work with stakeholders and vendors to best manage projects and ensure effective communications and expectations to support the overall health and well-being of each project
• Act as the primary contact to business units during all phases of the project
• Documents, reviews, and implements project change requests
• Identify and govern change and process management considerations critical to the success of the project
• Drive improvement efforts related to each IT project, regulate requirements, minimize cost, and provide better overall solutions for business efficiency.
• Create, manage, and maintain a comprehensive and detail project plan and schedule that aligns with budget
• Tracks budget and monitors use of funding allocated to projects
• Documents project scope, deliverables, and implementation approach
• Manages all project artifacts/documentation such charter, risk log, and schedule
• Plan, coordinate, and hold meetings with project team members both internal and external
• Baseline project schedule, budget, report changes above or below baseline
• Facilitate system/solution designs that meet City technology and cyber security standards
• Oversee creation and execution of test plans for upgrades/future project implementations
• Ensure all EPMO / Project and Department reports are updated timely
• Ensure project metadata and KPI’s are updated through lifecycle of project
• Oversee exceptions and unresolved issues and monitor progress by designated issue owners
• Interact with internal departments with timely and accurate resolution to IT question / project objectives
• Evaluate project impact in relation to training and other requirements and needs
• Professionally manage, communicate and maintain positive relationships with project stakeholders
• Ensure the final IT project outcome achieves originally defined objectives in the project charter
• Collaborate with vendors to implement new applications, software, and other features. Assists in negotiating statements of work and service contracts
• Performs related work as required
• Follows established processes for initiating and managing change control requests for production systems
• Ability to work after hours to minimize impact to travelers while implementing new systems or changes to existing systems
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
• Ability to document and communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Budgeting awareness
• Lead meetings that include participation from vendors / technical and non-technical peers / business owners
• Ability to effectively manage high stress scenarios
• Ability to work cooperatively with other City employees and the public
• Ability to apply conflict resolution techniques
• Ability to quicky change focus between projects based on priority or resources availability
• Ability to work with vendors to find a sustainable and cost-effective solutions
• Knowledge of IT industry standards and ability to recognize highly customized and/or proprietary formats
• Analytical and logical approach to problem solving
• Ability to lead and ensure team alignment
• Direct the activities of cross-functional resources through facilitation and coordination of meetings and distribution of information
• Lead, manage and facilitate concurrent projects, while remaining flexible with changing priorities, timeframes, and scope of services
• Ensure solutions are transitioned appropriately to the support team after project completion
• Excellent judgment and knowledge of escalation procedures
• Ability to interface professionally with all levels of management, to facilitate cooperation both within the department and externally
• Experience in gathering requirements, facilitating system design, change management, building project plans, administering test plans
• System life cycles and systems development
• Document and communicate lessons learned to continually improve implementation processes
• Principles of Project management methodologies
• Analyze current PM methodologies and implement changes to increase speed and quality of project delivery
• Principles and practices of business analysis
• Principles of business process management
• Meet schedules and deadlines of the project
• Ensure consistency, quality, accountability and high standards in all projects
• Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
• Contribute to the overall goals and objectives of the Technology Program Management Office
• Identify risk and issues and identify mitigation strategies
• Experience with project management tools such as MS Project and Visio
• Knowledge and experience ERP implementation and system integrations
• Knowledge and experience with the systems: e-Builder, Propworks, Cityworks, TAPP System tracking
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration or a related field
• Three (3) to Five (5) years of experience in managing medium to large scale IT projects
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certified or actively working to obtain PMP certification within 12 months of employment
• Project Management Methodologies Knowledge
• Agile or Scrum certifications
High School Graduate or Equivalent and nine years related work experience
Associate's Degree with seven years related work experience
Bachelor's Degree and five years related work experience
Master's Degree and three years related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.