The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Manages and coordinates tasks within design, maintenance, construction or rehabilitation projects for airport facilities supporting the Senior Airport Architect at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. May perform the functions of a planning/design architecture/engineering and provide technical assistance to various projects in related disciplines; and/or oversee contracts for various third-party service providers (e.g. contracts for planning, design, testing, surveying, and construction inspections for various airport projects).
- This is a hybrid position (three days in office and two days remote) where standard office hours apply Monday through Friday. Additionally, attendance required at after-hours meetings, applicable job duties, and during urgent or special situations.
- Valid driver’s license that meets guidelines for a City Driving Permit required.
- Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and manages specific tasks related to various stages of a project (programming, design, bids & contract award, or construction): works closely with the Senior Airport Architect to ensure tasks fit with the progression and criteria of the overall project; ensures the timely and quality completion of project tasks.
- Oversees contracted service providers to ensure timely and quality delivery of services: coordinates between the Senior Airport Architect and service providers to schedule work activities; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work to ensure compliance with contracts (costs, schedule, specifications, & quality of work); monitors and ensures compliance with administrative requirements of contracts.
- Provides direct administrative and technical support to program management teams; compiles and analyzes data necessary to monitor project budgets and expenditures; applies for and maintains required permits; schedules or performs inspections to ensure compliance with design specification and all regulatory requirements; and facilitates adherence to reporting and documentation requirements.
- Assists the Senior Airport Architect with public outreach and liaison activities: attends public meetings and participates in presentations to various groups; solicits input and feedback and responds to inquiries.
- Coordinates and/or performs tasks related to the programming phase of the project (planning & preliminary design/concepts): identifies user needs and requirements; confers with all appropriate parties to solicit input and feedback; develops cost projections, specifications, project budgets, and schedules; and facilitates approval of project and final design.
- Coordinates and/or performs tasks related to process for bidding and contracting of services of various project components in conjunction with Airport contracts officer; assists in the preparation of Requests For Qualifications (RFQs) for architectural services, design services, or other services; participates in pre-bid and pre-construction meetings.
- Coordinates and/or performs tasks related to design and/or construction phases; attends regular project progress meetings; works with consultants, contractors, and work crews to resolve problems and initiate the appropriate solutions; assists with field decisions and approves change orders as appropriate to level of authority; monitors adherence to project schedules; inspects quality of construction work and materials; and coordinates final inspections with contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Prepares, receives, and/or reviews construction plans, designs, and specifications pertaining to projects: performs or requests the consultant to provide modeling, planning, and architectural studies in support of project analysis and design; reviews and verifies design calculations and analysis submitted by consultants; and makes recommendations concerning improvements, modifications, design strategies, structural systems, or other aspects of project development.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully perform project management tasks including the proactive management during project initiation, planning, implementation and closeout.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices, methods and techniques of architecture.
- Knowledge of Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circulars, Engineering Briefs and Federal Aviation Regulations as they pertain to passenger terminals and airport facilities.
- Knowledge of Transportation Security Administration security regulations and requirements.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop technical reports.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to apply conflict resolution techniques.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, construction, or design related fields with one year of relevant experience required, four or more years of experience preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
Bachelor's Level Degree - Engineering and one year relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.