The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Fleet Management Division is seeking a Senior 12 Volt Automotive Custom Installer/Upfitter to join a team of highly skilled technicians. This position is responsible for the custom installation, inspection, diagnosis, and repair of automotive and electronic equipment in Fleet assets. Fleet vehicles include, but are not limited to, automobiles, trucks, vans, off road equipment, and specialized public safety vehicles. Upfit equipment includes, but is not limited to, warning lights, two-way radios, sirens, Automatic Vehicle Locators, Global Positioning Systems, wiring harnesses, storage equipment, and public safety warning equipment. This individual will also assist with other installation, diagnosis, and repair activities involving the equipment’s systems, mobile electronic systems, and all other equipment components. This is a first shift position located at our Wilkinson Boulevard Commission/Decommission shop.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Completing custom installations for a diverse range of vehicle makes and models, including sedans, SUVs, commercial trucks, public safety equipment, and off-road equipment.
- Disassembling and reassembling trim, seats, lights, headliners, and carpet in motor vehicles, heavy equipment, and/or any other type of equipment to properly route wiring and install equipment.
- Create custom wiring harness and fuse blocks for 12V electrical accessory systems operating warning lights, two-way radios, sirens, Automatic Vehicle Locators, Global Positioning Systems, wiring harnesses, storage equipment, and public safety warning equipment.
- Utilizes fleet maintenance software to accurately document work performed.
- Interpret manuals, electrical diagrams, and diagnostic software.
- Understand and follow industry specific safety procedures and general safety practices.
- Maintains a safe/clean work environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience installing aftermarket parts and accessories on a wide range of vehicle applications including municipal equipment.
- Knowledge of 12V electrical system operation and interfacing with aftermarket electrical components.
- Ability to calculate electrical components load and create a corresponding circuit to operate safely.
- Analyze, evaluate, and effectively write wiring diagrams and fuse block layout, and work performed to complete work orders.
- Knowledge of the methods, tools, and materials used in custom vehicle upfitting, and basic automotive repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards & safety precautions of the trade
- Ability to follow and communicate instructions both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds of equipment and/or tools.
- Possess or obtain the following licensures within six months (180) days of hire:
- NC Inspection license
- AC Recovery & Recycling License
- Must possess a valid driver's license, good driving record, and ability to obtain and maintain a City driving permit.
- Degree or certification from a technical school or college
- ASE certification(s) applicable to position
- Five (5) years of technical experience upfitting fleet vehicles
- High School diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
- $19,133 - $61,667 Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background check, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.