Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manage hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is based in Storm Water Services and will oversee the Construction and Utilities Division and Engineering and Design Division. This will be the lead technical position for Storm Water Services. This position will support strategic priorities, including infrastructure management to continuously assess and improve drainage to protect public safety and ensure long-term sustainability. This position requires a high level of interpersonal, technical, collaboration, community engagement, and leadership skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the efficient implementation of the overall STW CIP, averaging approximately 240 projects and $95M annually.
• Identify and address key policy, process, or relationship issues that may impede project delivery.
• Develop and monitor and report on key performance indicators (KPI’s) to ensure effective CIP implementation.
• Ensure consistent use of best industry practices in all practice areas including engagement with and benchmarking against other cities.
• Serve on the Storm Water Services leadership team and assist in efforts to develop organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Provide technical leadership to ensure consistency in engineering practices for Surface Water Quality and Land Development programs.
• Conduct periodic reviews of STW-funded, City-owned Real Estate and pursue appropriate disposition.
• Represent Storm Water Services in high-value dispute resolutions on construction contracts.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City leaders, contractors, business and community leaders, city staff and the general public.
• Ensure proper stakeholder engagement for capital projects.
• Serve as lead with external project partners to ensure timely project delivery.
• Collaborate with other city departments for project design coordination and implementation.
• Oversee and authorize any revisions to various technical documents, including Storm Water Design Manual, ordinance amendments, Land Development Standards Manual, etc.
• Develop training plan and review travel and training requests for Engineering and Construction teams.
• Lead, supervise, and mentor a diverse group of professionals.
• Work to promote an inclusive environment for all Storm Water Services staff.
• Coordinate and build relationships within General Services, Charlotte Water, Charlotte Department of Transportation, Planning, Design & Development, and other City, County, and State departments.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• High level of technical competence in the areas of engineering, stormwater principles, construction contract administration, and permitting processes.
• Ability to consistently model Storm Water Services values of integrity, equity and inclusion, expertise, collaboration, and innovation.
• Ability to understand and effectively provide oversight of and support for staff while ensuring an inclusive environment for employees.
• Ability to evaluate competing objectives and ability to facilitate consensus with contractors, developers, consulting engineers, and other city staff.
• Ability to communicate information to technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to manage an operating budget.
• Strong leadership and communication skills to develop and support employees.
• Ability to drive results with attention to key metrics, reporting, and performance accountability.
• Ability to drive process enhancements.
• Demonstrate high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
• Display high level of resiliency, able to face difficult situations and manage conflicts effectively.
• Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Products (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and ability to learn other systems as needed.
• Knowledge and experience in storm water management, planning, design, and construction of storm water facilities, problem solving, management, and supervision.
• Experience with design, installation, and/or maintenance of storm drainage infrastructure.
• Experience with design and construction contract administration.
• Experience with project schedule and budget management.
• Experience with conflict resolution.
• Experience with development of technical standards, policies, and procedures.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Valid Driver's License, good driving record and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and seven years of related experience or Master’s Degree and five years of experience.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
$130,999.00 - $145,554.00 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.