The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Charlotte Douglas International Airport which ranks as the 5th busiest airport in the United States and serves as a HUB for American Airlines. With a forward-thinking philosophy and a focus on constant growth, CLT sees itself as an Airport of the future.
This role provides strategic administrative and planning support to the Supply Chain Manager.
The Supply Chain Compliance Officer is provided the opportunity to work a hybrid schedule. Periodically work may be required outside standard business hours for meetings, special events and emergencies/urgent matters.
The successful candidate for this role will monitor and maintain long term strategic plans and process improvements for the acquisition, supply and construction of goods, services and technology to support the maintenance and operating of the Airport. The Compliance Officer will implement strategic initiatives to enhance customer service, standardize procurement processes, and increase efficiency related to contracting and vendor, contractor and subcontractor performance. In this position managing and coordinating staff workloads, minority business participation development, procurement and contracting activities are key.
The Compliance Officer supervises, prioritizes, and schedules services related to developing formal and informal solicitations for bidding, selection, negotiating and awarding of construction, design services, goods, services and technology contracts. Responsible for the implementation of best practices related to procurement and vendor management while ensuring the compliance, completeness and adherence to federal regulations, executive orders, North Carolina state statutes and City policies. Executes implementation monitoring and adherence to process improvements and serves as a subject matter expert for the Supply Chain activities. Relied upon for expert consultation related to procurement activities. Independent judgment and initiative are paramount, within established guidelines, to complete assignments. Work involves extensive contact with the public, tenants and co-workers. This position serves on the Airport’s Strategic Leadership Team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage, train and supervise staff of Procurement Section, including all Airport operating and construction contract administration personnel.
2. Manage the operational and administrative responsibilities of the Airport’s Procurement function.
3. Develop and coordinate inventory and logistics plans for the delivery and receipt of goods and services.
4. Monitor adherence to procurement strategies and functional objectives designed to provide value, quality and compliance in all procurement activities.
5. Serve as an in-house technical consultant on all procurement and contractual matters to ensure consistent application of regulations, policies and procedures.
6. Manage the bidding, selection, negotiating and awarding of construction, design services, goods, services and technology contracts ($180+ million annual operating budget and $300+ million annual Capital Improvement Program budget).
7. Collaborate with Divisional Leadership staff to monitor and maintain public facing procurement forecasting activities and participate in public information sharing engagements as requested.
8. Ensure the delivery of materials, supplies and services at the appropriate quality, lowest price and within an acceptable time frame to operate the Airport efficiently.
9. Manage and maintain strong working relationships with vendors and contractors to assure cost, quality and delivery targets are met.
10. Administer and ensure compliance with third party submittal of bonding and certificate of insurance for all relevant projects.
11. Develop positions on claims and protests related to selection and contract award.
12. Develop and maintains business processes and procurement workflow in internal requisitioning system and City’s ERP system.
13. Manage procurement transactions into the ERP system including requisitions, contracts, change orders and amendments to ensure financial integrity.
14. Identify and develop continuous improvement strategies for business process and policy enhancements.
15. Reviews and approves Council Actions.
16. Maintain spend and value analysis to identify financial and/or functional improvement opportunities.
17. Develop and facilitate training on procurement and contracting procedures for Department stakeholders and other relevant parties including the development of training materials and documentation and conducting or supporting training sessions for Department staff engaged in procurement and contracting activities.
18. Manage and maintain records in accordance to Federal Office and Information Act, State and City retention requirements.
19. Manage the preparation and fulfillment of public requests for information and records.
20. Performs related duties and special projects as required in support of general and specific procurement activities.
21. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of large-scale construction contracting and procurement activities.
• Knowledge of research methods and techniques.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) required.
• Skills to multi-task, organize, complete projects on schedule with minimal instruction.
• Skills to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Skills to work effectively with co-workers, tenants and the public, and represent the Airport in a positive, professional manner.
• Ability to work effectively with internal customers and the contracting community.
• Ability to plan, direct and supervise the work of subordinates.
• Ability to identify and analyze problems and identify possible solutions in support of established goals. Ability to analyze administrative problems and to make sound recommendations for their resolution and to prepare working procedures.
• Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Ability to identify and effectively respond to issues, concerns and needs. Ability to actively pursue and develop new ideas, methods and procedures to meet changing situations.
• Communication - Proactively conveys a clear, concise, convincing, and timely message; Communicates effectively using two-way communication through strong verbal, written, and listening skills
• Strategic Thinking - Thinks “big picture”; Forward thinking and adept at seeing future outcomes and results; Commits to a course of action to accomplish individual, team and organizational goals
• Judgement – Ability to exercise independent judgement as to the completeness, readiness and appropriateness of information to be presented to the Governance committees.
• Team Builder - Recognizes the value of teamwork and being an effective contributor to the team that drives desired results
• Customer Centric - Aware of customer needs and the prioritization of our customers both internal and external; Makes decisions with the customer in mind; Builds strong customer relationships
Major coursework in supply chain management, procurement, logistics, contract management, business administration or finance. Experience must include a supervisory role in procurement processes, policies, and best practices related to contract and solicitation process management, management of cross-functional teams and project management. Professional certification, e.g. CPSM, CPPO is preferred.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and seven years related work experience
Associate's Degree and five years related work experience
Bachelor's Degree and three years related work experience
Master's Degree and one year related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.