The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Over the last 20 years the presence and growth of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) and its airline hub have resulted in CLT becoming not only one of the busiest airports in the U.S. but in the world. With a forward-thinking philosophy and a focus on constant growth, CLT sees itself as an Airport of the future.
The Security Operations Coordinator maintains a safe atmosphere for travelers, visitors, tenants and employees within Charlotte Douglas International Airport facilities and grounds by performing duties related to aviation security, physical security and access control.
The Security Operations Coordinator is responsible for physical security and access control to include CCTV monitoring, incident management, employee training, customer service and inspections of airport premises, vendors and stakeholders. Responds to security door alarms, medical calls, other emergencies and requests for public assistance. Performs security, safety, administrative and customer service functions to support the overall airport operation. Work requires situational awareness, attention-to-detail and discernment. This is an unarmed position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Respond to security door and access point alarms in accordance with the Airport Security Program (ASP).
2. Respond to medical calls, other emergencies and requests for public assistance. Respond to incidents within the airport property as required by airport incident management protocols. Coordinate with members of other agencies as required.
3. Patrol by foot and vehicle designated areas and perimeter to maintain a safe atmosphere for travelers, visitors, tenants and employees. Enforce Airport policies, rules and regulations within established guidelines.
4. Investigate and document incidents related to general liability.
5. Escort authorized visitors inside the restricted areas of the Airport.
6. Prepare and maintain departmental reports and records.
7. As needed, assist with directing traffic on airport property to prevent congestion and maintain access on upper and lower levels of the terminal.
8. Assist with the Airport’s abandoned and towed vehicle program.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of applicable policies, procedures, rules, regulations, federal, state and local laws and ordinances, or ability to obtain such knowledge within first 90 days of employment.
• Computer skills, including proficiency with Outlook and Word at time of hire, and the ability to learn other software, such as ARMS, as the need arises.
• Skills to communicate clearly and effectively in person, over two-way radio and in writing.
• Ability to verbally communicate clearly and effectively with diverse populations.
• Ability to deal courteously and firmly with the traveling public, tenants, co-workers and others.
• Ability to represent the airport in a professional, positive manner and provide exceptional customer service to the traveling public, tenants, co-workers and others.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other agencies, tenants, employees and the public.
• Ability to recognize potential threats, and respond quickly and calmly under emergency situations.
• Ability to act without direct supervision using independent judgment and discretion in emergency situations in accordance with departmental policies, procedures, rules, regulations, laws, and ordinances.
Experience with aviation security, airport or airline operations preferred.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and three years related work experience
Associate's Degree and one year related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.