The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Charlotte Douglas International Airport which ranks as the 7th busiest airport in the United States and serves as a HUB for American Airlines. With a forward-thinking philosophy and a focus on constant growth, CLT sees itself as an Airport of the future. Come join our team and contribute to our growth!
This position provides administrative support to the Aviation Department’s Technology Division and Administrative Services Division.
This role requires strong interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment. The work requires initiative, discretion, and excellent time management; must possess an ability to prioritize work assignments and directed tasks. Strong communication skills are required for interaction at all levels of the organization, including Aviation’s Executive Leadership Team, City of Charlotte officials, airport stakeholders and tenants, and the general public.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides administrative support to assigned division directors and managers. Types, edits, and proofs correspondence and other documents. Performs data entry, completes reports, maintains, and organizes records. Files, faxes, scans, copies, and compiles documents.
2. Maintains and manages appointment schedules and calendars for division directors. Prioritizes appointments and visitors; handles logistics for meetings, conference calls, and coordination of special events and activities. Reserves rooms and/or event space ensuring proper set-up, A/V equipment, compiles info and materials, records meeting notes and places catering orders.
3. Provides assistance with financial processes. Coordinates and assists with the processing of Procurement Process Requests (PPR’s) by collecting information and entering data into e-Builder. Assists with invoice monitoring and budget review in Munis.
4. Prepares, coordinates, and enters pre- and post-travel documentation for division director’s and staff in compliance with the City’s travel policy. Handles travel logistics to include conference and event registrations, travel arrangements, lodging, per diem allocation and any additional needs. Processes all post travel expense reimbursements and ensures all receipts and records are maintained. Coordinates and enters miscellaneous employee reimbursement requests in Concur.
5. Provides courteous and helpful service to internal and external customers in person and over the phone. Handles complaints and requests, disseminates information to and relays messages. Provides back-up to the Office Assistant Senior for mail pick-up and distribution and runs postage from Aviation’s metered mail machine. On occasion, may serves as back-up receptionist at the CLT Center.
6. Serves as the P-Card delegate for division director and managers. Makes purchases on behalf of staff in compliance with City and Department policies. Creates and maintain electronic copies of receipts and forms and completes reconciliation of procurement card charges in the Munis financial system.
7. Serves as an Authorized Signer for assigned divisions. Responsible for the badging process for employees including paperwork, application submission, clearance codes/access, and appointment scheduling. Complies with Federal regulations for the badging process including proper filing regulations, notifications, and performing required audits. Attends annual Authorized Signer training per Federal Regulations.
8. Assist with various administrative Human Resources activities for the division.
9. Completes special projects and other duties as assigned; performs directed research.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent working knowledge of and experience using business English.
• Skills to provide first-rate customer service for internal and external customers.
• Skills to effectively and independently use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Skills to compose, edit and print professional letters and memos in Word, enter data in Excel, and compose professional emails, enter and organize data, and schedule appointments in Outlook.
• Skills to effectively and discreetly convey information.
• Skills to take initiative, investigate and solve problems.
• Skills to manage time well and keep work organized in an effective manner.
• Ability to handle increasingly complex / confidential / sensitive executive level duties.
• Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally as well as in writing.
• Ability to identify and analyze problems, and identify possible solutions in support of established goals.
• Ability to identify and effectively respond to issues, concerns, and needs.
• Ability to work independently as well as a team member with diverse workgroups.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City departments, and the public, representing the Airport in a positive manner.
Associate’s degree in secretarial science, business administration or related field with two years of relevant experience or graduation from high school plus four years of relevant experience. Prefer administrative experience supporting executive level managers.
High School Graduate
or Equivalent and one year(s) of related work experience
2 Year College
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.