The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, real estate services, landscape management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte's Department of General Services is seeking a Deputy City Engineer that will be responsible for leading collaborative, strategic initiatives for the department based on priorities of the City Council, City Manager and department, and contributing to organizational development. Examples of strategic focus areas include: Transportation, Planning and Environment; Workforce and Business Development; Safe Communities; Great Neighborhoods; Budget and Effectiveness; and Project Management Excellence.
Major emphasis for this position includes commitment to leadership, customer service, leveraging opportunities with developers, innovative approach to problem solving, ensuring quality of plans and estimates, communication, cash flow management, and ensuring accurate and consistent budgets and schedules for all projects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the Deputy City Engineer
- Assist the City Engineer in developing, monitoring and reporting Annual Strategic Objectives and Performance Measures
- Lead and mentor staff and resources in the implementation of projects identified in the Capital Investment Plan
- Provide technical support to staff with an emphasis on project management and construction
- Responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources
- Collaborate with client departments and developers
- Build credibility and trust with staff, community partners, and citizens
- Assist in efforts to develop policies, procedures and guidelines for the Department
- Serve a leadership role in the overall operations of the General Services Department
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Progressively responsible leadership and experience in project management specifically including planning, design, utility coordination and construction
- Progressively responsible leadership and organizational experience in program administration with a demonstrated ability to effectively direct and guide teamwork efforts
- Knowledge of various project delivery methods including design bid build, design build and construction manager at risk
- Proven commitment to customer service, collaboration, project management, conflict management, negotiation, innovation and organizational alignment, interpersonal communication, public speaking, media relations, and process improvement skills are essential
- Ability to analyze complex administrative, operational and policy issues, make sound recommendations for resolution and effectively implement
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City executives, City Council and other public officials, business and community leaders, General Services staff, and the general public
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite Products (Word, Excel, Access)
- Key competencies for success include: team oriented, collaborative, creative, flexible, proactive, strong communicator, responsive, approachable, comfortable managing conflict, innovative, aligned with organization, and ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced/high-pressure environment
- Ten (10) years progressive experience in municipal engineering field(s)
- Progressively responsible leadership experience in project management/project delivery
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field with a minimum of seven (7) years of related experience. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
Conditions of Employment
Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final
internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of
Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a
background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social
security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record
check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and
motor vehicle records check.
must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair
Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines
set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written
authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle
records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of
information derived from such reports.
Please note that all candidates must successfully pass a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background check the offer will be rescinded.
The City of
Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires
employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with
disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply
for a job.
Anyone seeking an
accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you
may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.