Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This is a one-year apprenticeship position with the goal of preparing the apprentice to be a Utility Technician and will include on-the-job training and classroom work. Upon completion of the one-year apprenticeship, the apprentice will perform various manual and semi-skilled tasks of average difficulty in construction, maintenance and repair in the Charlotte Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs manual and semi-skilled tasks related to construction, repair and maintenance, cuts out streets and driveways, manually excavates, backfills and compacts excavated areas to facilitate repair.
• Locates utilities on the job, digs out utilities manually or by machine.
• Performs simple measurements; interprets meter readings, performs routine safety inspections.
• Receives parts and materials from warehouse personnel; interacts with utilities customers.
• Transports materials, tools, and equipment to and from job sites, sets up and removes warning signs and traffic control devices.
• Operates the following: electronic utility locators, hand and power tools, equipment such as jackhammers, tampers, fire hydrants, gas monitors, air compressors, pneumatic tools and generators.
• Based on a checklist, maintains utility vehicles in clean, operating condition.
• Maintains truck inventory, maintains clean and safe work area.
• Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to operate power tools and operate small equipment;
• Ability to operate electronic locators, jackhammers, tampers, fire hydrants, front-end loaders, chainsaws, air compressors, generators, and other equipment;
• Knowledge on how to maintain truck inventory and safe work areas;
• Knowledge on how to set up jet/vac units and clean and unblock wastewater lines
• Ability to effectively interact with Charlotte Water customers
Must be able to walk over rough terrain, jump ditches, and work in adverse conditions (hot and cold). Requires occasional lifting, up to 100 pounds and walking from 1 to 10 miles over various types of terrain. Requires working on noisy construction sites, residential areas and in high traffic areas.
Work is performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others. Requires working in confined spaces.
• Requires possession of a valid North Carolina Drivers’ License.
• Must obtain Class A Tanker Endorsement Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) permit within 18 months, and license within 2 years.
• Must obtain City Drivers Permit.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.