The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The SMS Operations Coordinator primarily performs skilled work, including regulatory inspections of airport facilities (including the Air Operations Area), identification of safety hazards, and other duties as assigned under compliance with Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 139 (14 CFR Part 139). The SMS Operations Coordinator is responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and enforcing the rules that govern airfield safety. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and written, and assess situations quickly and objectively while determining the proper course of action within established standard operating procedures while representing CLT in a professional and positive manner.
• Shift work in a 24/7/365 work environment. Hours vary and will likely require weekend and/or evening work. Schedule subject to overtime, change and calls back to work for emergency/urgent situations.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to qualify for and maintain a City driving permit.
• Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Under supervision, ensures CLT’s compliance with 14 CFR Part 139, specifically Subpart E – Airport Safety Management System. Also responsible for general duties associated with CLT’s overall 14 CFR Part 139 and 49 CFR Part 1542 compliance.
2. Conducts inspections to ensure compliance with FAA regulations, specific to airfield safety and CLT’s SMS program.
3. Assists with SMS-related projects. Frequently formulates comprehensive and concise communications in both oral and written form.
4. Under the supervision of management, assists with training and promotion of CLT’s SMS program.
5. Responsible for coordinating with stakeholders and internal partners on a regular basis.
6. Conducts site visits at facilities around the airport property. Develops reports and follows up on safety incidents, inquiries, and anonymous tips.
7. Assists management with investigations into non-compliance with safety rules and regulations.
8. Follows complex instructions, establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
9. Assists other Airport Operations divisions with tasks as needed. May be assigned to day-to-day Airport Operations duties as needed, 24/7/365.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of 14 CFR Part 139 and Safety Management Systems.
• Ability to assess situations quickly and thoroughly in a calm manner and take appropriate actions as necessary.
• Works independently and in a team setting efficiently and professionally with a positive attitude.
• Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, peers, and partners.
• Ability to effectively utilize cell phones, computers, tablets, and various other technology devices to efficiently give presentations, produce/review documents, and conduct investigations.
• Ability to produce professional documents, presentations, reports, and other material that is intended to be utilized for training and presentation to senior leadership.
• Ability to effectively respond to emergencies in a calm and professional manner.
• Must be able to operate a City vehicle safely, hold a valid driver’s license, and maintain an acceptable driving record.
• Must independently manage day-to-day activity with limited supervision. Incumbent must be a self-starter and manage difficult tasks on a frequent basis.
• Must be available to work on-site, any shift, 24/7/365, with a non-standard/rotating/as-needed work schedule.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Aviation Management, Airport Operations, or Safety (Aviation Safety emphasis preferred).
• At least 2 years’ experience interpreting and applying regulations set forth in 14 CFR Part 139.
• Experience in airport operations or an aviation safety-specific role.
• AAAE ACE (SMS) or Certified Member designation.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and five years related work experience
Associate's Degree and three years related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.