Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
Under general direction of the Operations Manager, supervises and oversees the complete functions of the Customer Service Operations Center to include scheduling service work distribution, route management, internal and external customer contacts, and emergency response. Designated as the system and knowledge specialist who can attend to and resolve complex matters as well as provide essential information to the leadership management team. Listen and monitor customer calls for quality assurance, coaching, training, and continuous improvement opportunities. May attend to inter-city and department inquiries, assist external and internal customers with water, sewer, and stormwater service questions. Ensures overall work is completed as required, follow-up with field unit supervisors of any outstanding work and provides productivity summaries to management.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Working supervisor that monitors and performs the daily activities and duties of the operation’s center functions that the team performs.
• Directly supervises operations center team and associated activities.
• Primary point of contact for reporting operational updates during special events.
• Reports technician performance issues or concerns to appropriate management for resolution.
• Enter monthly data for water services and meter management on Customer Service Dashboard report. To include but not limited total number of completed service orders, meter reading stats, bulk water program revenue, equipment changeouts and other required data.
• Provide monthly notifications to Operations Supervisor, Operations Manager, Division Manager and Performance Manager regarding service order SLA’s that are not met and possible reasons as to why
• Provide real-time alert notification of idle vehicles/technicians to supervisors.
• Provide monthly report of availability (unproductive) VS unavailable time reports.
• Provide monthly report of service order productivity of field employees by team.
• Provide periodical performance reports to support future enhancement system growth, service order capacity requests and system maintenance.
• Monitor the daily Workforce Availability (WA) to ensure team has made the appropriate assignments.
• Monitor, analyze and make system adjustments to the Workforce Optimizer performance.
• Report inefficiencies of Workforce Optimizer to the Utility Management Services team.
• Responsible for removing field employees from Mobile and Dispatching applications.
• Supporting supervisors’ special requests regarding technicians.
• Ensuring work is assigned and distributed accordingly based on factors such as priority, geographic location, and technician’s skill set.
• Update current zone maps as needed including special map requests.
• Forecasts workload base on future orders vs staffing to regulate possible delays in SLA and/or OT needed.
• Anticipate and track special events such as weather patterns to ensure proper staffing for possible emergency incidents due to inclement weather.
• Require that all SLAs are met regarding answering calls, emails, reports, and follow-up responses to all internal and external customers.
• Communicate with up to 100 field units, daily.
• Supervisor will listen and evaluate calls for quality and training purposes to successfully provide coaching for continues improvement when needed.
• Maintain routine meetings with staff for continuous improvements and operational performance.
• Document and report process concerns to our 311 liaisons Realtime such as, hold times, unauthorized service orders generated or cancelled, complaints, and related concerns.
• Support and assist with Emerald key words in instances where stablished processes have been modified/updated or new instructions have been added. Emerald Key words should be altered to reflect changes.
• On a monthly basis, track, and report to the Operations Manager to include but not limit, total amount of calls answered, abandon calls, hold times and agent availability report.
• Communicate with divisional designees for emergencies, service orders past the SLA, employee incidents, vehicle accidents and inclement weather events.
• Create monthly CSOC staff schedule to ensure coverage for Holidays, Weekends, and overall gaps during staffing shortages or call outs.
• Recruit, train and develop employees, apply corrective action, and perform annual evaluations.
• Acts in a pre-emptive manor in all aspects of work. Identify improvement opportunities and communicate to section supervisor.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Operation Manager while maintaining a flexible work schedule and continuity of operations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, GIS, and mapping systems. Knowledge of work orders and billing database systems along with mobile applications.
• Knowledge of the Charlotte City code and other policy documents as those documents relate to customer service, field operations, and engineering functions.
• Knowledge of call center and dispatching environments.
• Skill in recruitment, training, coaching, and developing team members.
• Skill in professional communications such as emails, in-person, phone calls, and general interactions.
• Skill in organization and time management.
• Skill in operating computers and technology.
• Skill in mathematics, analysis and problem solving.
• Skill in providing exceptional customer service.
• Ability to resolve conflicts, apply corrective and disciplinary action.
• Ability to follow directives and instructions.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships; to understand and follow directives and instructions.
• Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with 3 years of comparable experience, preferably a 2-year college degree and 1 year of work experience and supplemented with the principles and practices of utility customer service, water distribution operations and work order management systems.
• Requires a flexible work schedule with the availability to work overtime.
$63,013.00 - $70,013.00 Commensurate with Experience