The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Seeking a highly organized and proactive Special Assistant for Research/Analyst. Responsibilities will include gathering information in response to requests from City Council members as well as keeping the city staff advised on areas of concern and sensitive issues. This position reports to the Office of Constituent Services, Division Manager.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
As the Special Assistant for Research/Analyst. this position will be responsible for:
• Conducting thorough research and providing timely information to City Council members in response to their requests
• Analyzing and compiling the gathered data and formulating summaries and options for courses of action based on the available information
• Collaborating with department leaders to conduct research as requested by City Council members
• Preparing sensitive correspondence, conducting research, and performing statistical analysis for assigned projects
• Communicating and updating department leaders on sensitive matters involving requests from City Council members
• Providing administrative support to City Council subcommittees, task forces, and other boards and commissions and providing necessary assistance to staff and/or City Council members
• Assisting City Council Support Specialists in finding innovative ways to meet constituency needs while adhering to city policies and procedures
• Delivering seamless customer service, facilitating timely responses to constituent concerns, maintaining integrity, and promoting innovation, efficiency, and fiscal responsibility
• Flexibility to work beyond regular hours, including weekends, evenings, early mornings, and holidays, as required to fulfill job responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
We are seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Special Assistant to the City Council with the following skills and qualifications:
• Proficient in conducting research and performing administrative analyses related to policy and management issues
• Focused and detail-oriented, with a keen eye for accuracy and precision
• Ability to effectively prioritize work and organize tasks to meet deadlines in a dynamic work environment
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced setting, handling multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with the ability to translate ideas into concise written form
• Proficient in drafting high-quality documents and materials, ensuring clarity and coherence in written communications
• Solid knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration and municipal government
• Demonstrates tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive, complex, and confidential matters
• Skilled in analyzing administrative problems, providing sound recommendations, and developing effective procedures
• Exhibits sound judgment and takes responsibility for assigned tasks, continually expanding knowledge and contributing to the organization's goals
• Maintains professional relationships with elected officials, colleagues, and the public, fostering a positive and collaborative work environment.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills, with meticulous attention to detail
• Proficient writing and typing skills
• Three years of responsible experience in administration and research and a master's degree in public or business administration, government management or a related field
High School Graduate or Equivalent and five years relevant experience.
Associate’s Degree and three years relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.