The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services. The Department guides city departments through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 15th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 897,000 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Seeking a senior-level HVAC Technician in the Facility Operations Division of the General Services Department. This position will be responsible for performing work related to HVAC systems, preventative maintenance, and repairs in CATS facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Observe mechanical devices in operating to determine repairs needed
- Dismantle devices to gain access to and remove and repair or replace defective parts
- Inspect defective parts to detect imperfections
- Adjust functional parts of devices and control instruments
- Install special functional and structural parts in devices
- Lubricate and clean parts and start devices to test their performance
- Keep records/timesheets and itemize duties performed on the job
- Read electrical diagrams
- General maintenance and repair of other items/systems typically found in commercial facilities including but not limited to plumbing, interior and exterior doors and electrical components
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and thrive in a team environment
- Must be able to receive guidance from the Team Lead and follow directions at all times
- Ability to read blueprints and diagrams
- Proficiency with computer-based work order management systems, reporting systems, and Microsoft Suite applications
- Must be able to work overtime, including weekend/holiday on-call and emergency call backs
- Must have a good driving record and valid Driver’s License
- Works well as part of a team
- Must be able to lift to 75lbs. of equipment and/or tools
- Ability to maintain a city driving permit
- Ability to load and unload extension ladders from top of utility van and place upright against buildings
- Ability to climb ladders, and crawl and work in small spaces
- Works in an organized, clean, and safe manner
- Must be able to work in close proximity of animals
- Considerable knowledge of principals and a mastery of skills related to commercial HVAC systems
- High School diploma with ten (10) years of relevant work experience; or an Associate’s Degree and five (5) years of experience or equivalent combination of background, experience and skills necessary to perform the essential duties of the position
- Requires current NC State Contractors License and Universal Certification for Refrigeration Handling
- $75,000-$82,640 Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background screening, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.