Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Storm Water Services Engineering Project Coordinator serves on the Storm Water Services Design Program, performs assistance to project engineering activities and tasks related to storm water design work.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Familiar with hydrologic and hydraulic analyses models
- Practical experience in using AutoCAD3D regarding plan production
- Interacting with the public, meeting with property owners to represent the City
- Develop and assist with construction cost estimates
- Coordinate utility conflicts with local utilities
- Conduct pipe video sessions in the field
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully apply engineering design techniques for storm water modeling and design tasks
- Ability to learn and understand hydrology & hydraulic software such as:
- Hydro CAD
- Storm CAD
- Experience or ability to learn AutoCAD3D and other engineering software applications
- Assist project engineers in developing construction plans for these repairs & improvements in accordance to all local, state and federal permitting requirements
- Basic knowledge of City of Charlotte Land Development Standards, NCDOT Standards and Specifications and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Design Manual
- Utilize efficient time management skills for short-term stormwater project activities and tasks
- Ability to assist with design and management of storm water projects through the assessment, planning, conceptual, design, and construction phases.
- Good organizational skills to meet expected regarding engineering activities associated with project design
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and create technical reports
- Ability to work cooperatively with City employees and the public
- Ability to apply conflict resolution techniques
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Driver's License, good driving record and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit
- Certification as an Engineering Intern or Professional Engineer
- Engineering design experience in storm drainage, sanitary sewer or water systems and/or municipal construction or construction management experience desirable
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering (prefer Civil) and one year of related experience
- $71,486 - $89,358 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background screening, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.