The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Fleet Management Division is seeking a Master Heavy Equipment Road Service Technician to join a team of highly skilled technicians. This position will be responsible for the daily evaluation, inspection, diagnosis and repair of heavy trucks, construction equipment, and light vehicles primarily for Charlotte Water in Mecklenburg County. The Master level technician performs advanced diagnosis and repair of complex electronically controlled diesel engines, modern electrical systems, air and braking systems, complex hydraulic systems, specialty municipal equipment, and gasoline engines in automotive applications. Work will be performed in the field and requires the individual to be able to perform in all types of weather. Individual will need the ability to work without direct supervision.
Offering a $2,000 hiring bonus. This position is assigned a service truck that is considered a take home vehicle and can be driven home on a daily basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs advanced diagnosis and repair of complex electronically controlled diesel engines, modern electrical systems, air braking systems, steering and suspension, complex hydraulic systems, and light to medium duty gasoline powered vehicles.
- Assess and recommend actions for replacement and/or life cycle use of the equipment.
- Utilizes fleet maintenance software to accurately document work performed.
- Maintains a safe/clean work environment
- Communicate with all levels of fleet operations and customers ensuring repairs are completed
- Interpreting manuals, electrical diagrams, diagnostic software, and experience in translating findings to system documentation and repair types, as well as, estimating repair costs is essential.
- Understanding and following safety procedures is critical with the ability to assess potential safety hazards.
- Maintain and repair vehicles and equipment for Charlotte Water focusing on the northern parts of Mecklenburg County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to clearly communicate with a diverse group of technicians, vendors, and staff
- Knowledge of the methods, tools, and materials used in maintaining and repairing construction equipment, small engines, light vehicles, and class 8 diesel powered chassis
- Knowledge of the methods, tools, and materials used in maintaining and repairing municipal equipment related to the service and maintenance of sewer and water delivery infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Fleet Management Information Systems
- Works well without direct supervision
- Must be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge and application for all phases of repairing vehicles/equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards & safety precautions of the trade
- Ability to resolve customer complaints related to vehicle repairs and maintenance
- Follow oral & written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally & in writing
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to technicians and staff
- Must possess a valid North Carolina driver's license with the ability to obtain a Class B CDL within 180 days of hire
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a North Carolina State Inspectors license within 180 days of hire
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain ASE Heavy/Medium Truck Master status within 12 months of hire
- Ability to obtain AC Recovery & Recycling License within 180 days of hire
- Ability to travel out of town for work/training on occasion
- Conflict management and resolution with staff, customers, and City vendors
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, vendors, and customers.
- Degree or certification from an accredited technical school or college
- ASE Heavy/Medium Truck Master status or Manufacturer training certification recognized by ASE
- At least five years of experience related to heavy truck and diesel engine repair
- High School diploma/GED with five (5) years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
All job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background screening, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.