The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This is a professional level position with supervisory responsibilities that provides support for the CRTPO which is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Charlotte urban area. The CRTPO is responsible for long-range transportation planning and aims to create a more comprehensive and efficient transportation system that improves the quality of life and economic outcomes for all residents. The planning area includes 24 member jurisdictions throughout Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Union counties. The CRTPO works with these jurisdictions, as well as NCDOT, local transit providers, and the Federal Highway Administration to develop plans for all modes of transportation, prioritize transportation needs, and equitably allocate federal funds. This is a hybrid job with regular in office hours and work from home hours.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The area of focus will be on providing a professional engineering perspective to the implementation of the federally mandated metropolitan planning process. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing complex engineering and planning processes/projects and the coordination and integration of a variety of programs, policies, services, and regulations
- Serve as project manager for the Beyond 77 initiative.
- Lead and manage corridor and planning studies.
- Administer the CRTPO’s Alignment Evaluation Program by working with CRTPO member jurisdictions and NCDOT staff to enhance roadway alignments on the Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP).
- Lead cost-estimating preparation and review efforts for several initiatives, including the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP), the Transportation Improvement Program, and the Discretionary Funds Program.
- Lead efforts to update cost-estimating procedures.
- Engage in a high level of interaction with the NC Department of Transportation on feasibility studies, environmental document preparation, Merger process projects and other efforts.
- Review developer concepts for proposed transportation corridors and assess proposed impacts.
- Participate on consultant roadway corridor study committees; present to the CRTPO policy board and Technical Coordinating Committee.
- Participate in the development of lists of potential transportation improvement projects to be included in long and short-range plans.
- Facilitate the annual CRTPO Traffic Data Program; direct the efforts to maintain and amend the Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP).
- Provide technical assistance to CRTPO member jurisdictions.
- Participate in the rezoning process.
- Serve in a mentor role for the Assistant Transportation Engineer by working on key tasks with this staff member and exposing them to critical skills.
- Participate in CRTPO public involvement efforts, including conducting presentations to neighborhood, civic, business and community groups, as well local governing bodies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of an MPO’s governmental function relative to project prioritization and delivery.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, both verbal and written.
- Excellent public speaking and customer service skills.
- The ability to work in a team environment, including interdepartmental and multi-jurisdictional committees and organizations.
- The ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision; excellent organizational skills and conflict management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
- Four-year degree in civil engineering with emphasis in transportation and at least five (5) years of relevant experience. Registration as a licensed professional engineer in North Carolina is strongly preferred.
- The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D (demonstration of familiarity with this software will be requested as a part of the interview process).
Bachelor's level degree and five years relevant experience.
Master’s level degree and three years relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.