Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Under general direction of the Account Services Manager, works in a semi-call center environment with front facing customer contact. Supervises a team of employees and serves as backup supervisor to the Account Services Manager. Performs all aspects of the sections job tasks and maintains all subject matter knowledge in terms of process, regulatory, policy and system application and compliance. Specializes in all complex billing and account inquires, complaint investigation, backflow programs and dispute resolution. Directs and supervises work of Customer Care Team. Provides backup and support to New Services functions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises Account Services Billing employees as well as the Charlotte Water Customer Care Team; oversees their daily functions, performs quality control audits, completes performance reviews and necessary coaching.
• Performs escalation resolution on disputed accounts, supports and backs up the Escalation Specialist with escalations from the Office of Constituent Services.
• Receives and resolves escalations from 311 supervisors and the E-Team that are too complex or outside of their scope of responsibility.
• Provides backup to the Account Services Manager in all functions of the section in the event of absence or other unavailability.
• Provides customer service, in person, phone and electronic communications for multiple account management activities such as customer service requests, leak adjustments, payment arrangements, account changes, billing inquires, service information, and other account management activities.
• Supervises Care Team activities, administering financial assistance programs to qualifying customers.
• Oversees team’s Revenue Recovery in-office investigations, creation of work to be distributed to the field, and subsequent account corrections or reporting.
• Oversees team’s cash handling and adherence to City Finance Cash Handling Policy.
• Ensures accuracy by performing routine quality assurance verifications in the billing system.
• Enters backflow tests, processes smart irrigation applications, and provides full service for the department’s backflow programs to customers for prompt response and accurate information.
• Processes fire hydrant requests, sets up account, and applies applicable fees and charges.
• Supports the front desk activities when needed.
• Provides backup to the section supervisor, monitors and reports work performance of the team and administers corrective action to ensure workload is being completed in a timely and correct manner.
• Performs other duties and tasks as required by the section supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of new tap installation procedures and City requirements.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, utility billing systems, customer verification tools, complaint management systems, and reporting applications.
• Skill in interpreting mapping systems (GIS), utility site plans and topographic maps.
• Skill in resolving customer complaints and escalated situations.
• Ability to analyze a complex situation and make decisions.
• Ability to work with people in a positive, respectful, confidential, and cooperative manner.
• Ability to supervise others.
• The work is sedentary work and requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: manual dexterity, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, talking, visual acuity in data and color, and walking.
• Work is mainly performed in an office environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs. May require occasional site visits to meet customers and observe site conditions in order to make decisions.
Requires a two-year degree and three years of equivalent work experience in a customer service environment supervising employees or a high school diploma and 5 years of experience in a customer service environment supervising employees.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
$61,177.00 - $67,974.00 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.