The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Sanitation Equipment Operator employee will primarily operate a rear-end loading sanitation vehicle to perform manual labor tasks which include emptying containers, collecting yard waste, and litter picking.
· Responsible for operating a rear-end loading sanitation, automatic collection, or other vehicle in order to collect residential waste such as household trash, yard waste, recycling, bulky item removal, business garbage, litter and other debris
· Responsible for the daily inspection of assigned equipment for readiness and safety and performing related manual labor tasks such as, lifting and emptying containers, collecting yard waste or litter picking, and involves frequent outside exposure under all weather conditions
· Position may serve as lead person to two or more people on a crew
· Must have a valid Class A or B CDL and the ability to obtain a City's driver permit
· Experience in operation of heavy equipment
· Knowledge of traffic laws, regulations, safety precautions and work hazards involved in operation of equipment
· Ability to lift and carry 100 lbs.
· Read and follow street maps & driving routes
· Follow written and/or verbal instructions
· Works assigned shift and may be required to assist in multiple areas
· Subject to overtime
· Must also be able to work nights, weekends or other unusual hours as needed in support of special events or emergency response
· Must be able to work holidays
Three years related work experience
High School Graduate or Equivalent and one year related work experience
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|