Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
Under general direction of the Account Services Manager, works in a semi-call center environment with front facing customer contact. Provides Account Services support for backflow functions such as testing certification and Smart Controller Program. May process business partner correspondences, attend to inter-city and department inquiries, assist external and internal customers with backflow prevention program questions, resolve complaints, process daily reports, and support divisional workgroups.
The intern must be able to commit to the full seven-month assignment and be available to work Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm. The training will include exposure to Charlotte Water customer service division in addition to gaining job readiness skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Applicants for this position learn the following tasks as it pertains to the daily work:
• Assists with annual retest notification letters, including data validation before sending to print vendor
• Support with Engineering Backflow Division to investigate backflow test results requiring field follow-up
• Support backflow functions including entering test results, responding to customer inquiries, and notifying customers of retest requirements
• Process PLL Backflow reports to correct entry errors and investigate noncompliance
• Participates in tester orientation, recertification notification, and certification data entry into Backflow system
• Assist with management of Smart Controller Program including processing applications, applying applicable program rate, and processing recertification applications
• Provide front line customer service via phone, email, fax, or in-person to explain backflow prevention requirements as related to City Code of Ordinance and industry best practices
• Manage a wide variety of incoming customer requests, backflow service changes, and other backflow management activities as necessary
• Identifies improvement opportunities and communicates to section supervisor
• Performs other duties as required by the section supervisor
• Assist with smart irrigation customers with notification for annual testing
• Input data entry accurately, submit information into system after verifying information and help with completing back flow applications
• Provide excellent customer service throughout phone calls
• Participate in ride-along to assist with resolving issues
• When required, help with outdoor inspections.
• Assist with error messages.
• Ensure checks and balances.
• Input information for the 40,000 plus records
• Performs other work tasks and duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in organizing
• Skill in operating computers and technology.
• Skill in analysis and problem solving.
• Skill in providing customer service.
• Ability to follow directives and instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Valid North Carolina Drivers’ License
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ WORK ENVIORNMENT:
The work is sedentary work and requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: feeling, manual dexterity, distinguishing among sounds, mental acuity, repetitive motion, speaking, talking, and visual acuity.
Assigned mentor/trainer; workplace-ready certification, financial literacy, career pathing, wellness programs, on-site gym
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to
be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any
position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be
collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to:
reference checks, social security verification, education verification,
criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check,
sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state
statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be
consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations
to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal
background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to
properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test
and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked
to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable
accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if
you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources
Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at
700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday
through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704)
336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your
application, click here.