Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
Under general direction of the Operations supervisor, and supported by the Customer-Revenue Service Specialist, the Customer-Revenue Assistant is responsible for processing daily meter reading uploads/downloads, running and analyzing meter reading exception reports, customer account water consumption analysis, field service order reviews, field work closing code exceptions, resolving pre-billing discrepancies, and related back-office functions. Strictly adheres to the meter reading and billing schedules while ensuring meter readings and service orders are reviewed for accuracy, completeness and entered into the billing system in a timely manner. Required to have a flexible work schedule and availability to work overtime as needed. Work schedule may change as a result of the meter reading and billing requirements, circumstances outside the control of the department such as weather, system failures, epidemics and so forth.
The Pipeline Academy participant must be able to commit to the full seven-month assignment and be available to work Monday-Friday from 7:30am-4:30pm . The training will include exposure to Charlotte Water Customer Service division in addition to gaining job readiness skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Applicants for this position will learn the following tasks as it pertains to the daily work
operations at Charlotte Water.
• Reviews and applies appropriate action to resolve exceptions in meter readings and field orders.
• Performs pre-bill consumption adjustments and refers any monetary post-billing adjustments to appropriate departments.
• Performs detailed review and analysis of commercial and industrial water services that include multiple meters, private deduction meters, fire line services and irrigation.
• Generates work orders for the field customer service personnel to investigate water services and metering equipment for performance and operational compliance.
• Run and process reports for meter reading check reads, validations, and other service type requests.
• Identifies abnormal readings and consumption patterns to determine if field work orders need to be issued or if other changes need to be made in order to ensure proper billing.
• Collects and reports errors daily and submits findings in daily reports.
• Identifies root causes to exceptions and communicates improvement opportunities to section supervisor.
• Works and analyzes the causes of zero consumption by seasonal variances, conformance of metering equipment, inactive accounts, residency vacancies, whereby the read instruction are reflective of the service addresses features to wells, occupancy, stop meters, meter location, damage equipment, etc.
• Closely follows established processes in all job tasks, monitoring, and resolution requirements.
• Acts in a pre-emptive manor in all aspects of work.
• Performs other duties as required by the section supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in organizing
• Skill in operating computers and technology.
• Skill in analysis and problem solving.
• Skill in making math calculations.
• Skill in providing customer service.
• Ability to follow directives and instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Sitting, standing, walking, bending, and light lifting
Work is performed in a work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Requires a flexible work schedule and willingness to work overtime.
Assigned mentor/trainer; workplace-ready certification, financial literacy, career pathing, wellness programs, on-site gym
High School Graduate or Equivalent
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to
be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any
position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be
collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to:
reference checks, social security verification, education verification,
criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check,
sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state
statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be
consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations
to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal
background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to
properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test
and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked
to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable
accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if
you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources
Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at
700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday
through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704)
336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your
application, click here.