Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Responsible for accurately locating and marking Charlotte Water infrastructure on excavation sites. Requires the ability to read and interpret water and sewer and street maps. Must have good verbal and written communication skills and basic computer skills; must be able to work with the public and general contractors while planning, prioritizing, and completing work orders courteously, and effectively with minimal supervision. Utilizes digital photography to verify completed work orders. Must be able to work in all types of weather and environmental conditions. Position may require variable shift assignment and occasional overtime.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Must be able to accurately locate and mark Charlotte Water mains, water service lines, sewer mains and force sewer mains on excavation sites.
• Must have the ability to read and interpret water, sewer, and street maps.
• Must have good verbal, written and verbal communication skills, as well as basic computer skills.
• Must be able to work well with the public and general contractors while completing work orders with minimal supervision.
• Responsible for real-time work orders.
• Must be able to use digital photography for verification of completed work orders.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather and environmental conditions.
• Must be able to work overtime, if needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Read and interpret water and sewer maps and street maps
• Drive and work safely; perform work requiring physical strength
• Work in a team atmosphere.
• Be a self-starter, try new ideas
• Maintain flexibility with little supervision.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Maintain records and write reports.
• Be courteous under pressure.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, the public and general contractors.
• Must be able to coach and motivate team members.
Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, lifting, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, expressing ideas by spoken word, visual acuity in data/color/observations/equipment. Must be able to walk long distances over uneven terrain. Must be able to drive 25 miles a day with frequent stops. Must be able to work in all types of weather.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.
• Requires a high school diploma or GED
• At least one (1) year locate experience working with utilities
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
$44,329.00 - $49,253.00 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.