Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Storm Water Services is seeking a Senior Construction Inspector that will be reporting to a Construction Supervisor in the Construction and Utilities Division. The Senior Inspector is responsible for inspection and contract administration of Storm Water projects (Major and Minor Flood Control and Water Quality) for compliance with City, State and Federal standards and regulations. As a senior level Construction Inspector, this position will serve as a mentor and provide direction to subordinate staff.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors work of private contractors on storm drainage projects for compliance with design criteria and construction standards
- Documents daily activity and project progress
- Measures and documents quantities of work in place for contractor pay requests
- Monitors differing and changed site conditions
- Assists in field review of proposed work
- Assists with field change orders and negotiates prices with contractor
- Serves as City’s point of contact for contractors, property owners, and other project stakeholders
- Coordinates material testing for quality assurance
- Rejects work found to be substandard in materials and workmanship
- Assists with citizen requests related to storm drainage repairs
- Measures and documents physical characteristics of storm drainage infrastructure
- Provide technical and administrative mentoring to inspectors
- Review design plans and special provisions for constructability, participate in development of new policy, manuals, standards, and specifications
- Provide professional and technical instruction, guidance, and information to consultants, contractors, engineers, other City officials, and the public regarding construction practices
- Follows up with project managers/project engineers/utility coordinator on the status of utility conflicts and getting an estimated time of completion
- Develops relationship with project managers/project engineers/utility coordinator/utility companies/other City departments/contractors/property owners to resolve utility related issues
- Provide high-level technical understanding of City, State and Federal standards
- Performs other assigned duties as required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in general construction activities including basic surveying, engineering and construction standards and procedures
- Knowledge of materials, methods and practices used in various types of construction, knowledge of material testing of asphalt, concrete, and soils
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written with the ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent conflict management skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Knowledge of computer software applications including spreadsheets and word processing
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Software Outlook, Excel, Word, Access preferred
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish desirable
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record, dependable passenger vehicle, ability to receive and maintain a City Driving Permit is required
- Degree in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, construction management, or related field
- Minimum of five years direct public or private work experience in storm drainage installation and roadway construction
- Experience with water line and sanitary sewer construction
- High School diploma/GED with five (5) years of relevant work experience, or an Associate's Degree with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties of the position.
- $58,219 - $72,774 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.