The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is responsible for administrative and professional engineering work at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. This work involves the responsibility of planning short and long term construction and maintenance projects, supervision for moderately complex and difficult engineering tasks in connection with the design, construction or maintenance of the Airport’s structures, utilities and construction projects. Work involves major technical decision making and independent judgment within established guidelines. Work is evaluated based on results. Bachelor’s Degree and Professional Registration or Certification as a Professional Engineer is required. Successful delivery of construction projects on-time and within budget; experience in change management and compliance with applicable laws, rules, ordinances, and regulations; experience in all construction project phase services including pre-design, design/pre-bid, bid, construction, and post-construction as well as experience managing a staff augmentation, contracts, and experience in government contract administration.
1. Coordinates multiple development and construction projects and consultants at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.
2. Supervises, leads and mentors professional and paraprofessional engineering staff.
3. Negotiates contract changes, monitors contractor performance, solicits contractor bids/proposals, monitors quality of work, provides regular status reports, performs special studies and responds to requests from internal and external stakeholders, such as Airport Executives, Airlines, tenants, FAA, etc.
4. Interfaces with various governmental agencies to ensure departmental compliance with regulatory requirements.
5. Makes difficult engineering computations, designs complex major engineering projects, prepares complete engineering plans and specifications, prepares clear and concise technical reports, and completes projects accurately and on schedule.
6. Interprets contracts, bid/proposals, specifications and other technical documents. Manages the procurement of Engineering related services, such as project management support services, RPR services, engineering on-call, and individual project engineering services, materials testing, surveying, utility locates. Also manage the procurement of construction bids
7. Calculates cost estimates and identifies resources needed for projects.
8. Reviews the work of architects, engineers, contractors, and other project service providers. Makes design modifications necessary to conform with regulatory and project requirements. Approves the designs as appropriate.
9. Provides professional and technical assistance to project managers, contract officers and others during various phases of project design/construction to help evaluate proposals and make recommendations for contract approvals/changes.
10. Serves as the Airport’s technical expert for Modification of Standards on file with the FAA’s Airport Data and Information Portal.
Master’s degree plus five years of experience, or bachelor’s degree plus seven years of experience required. Major coursework should have included an aviation-related field, business or public administration, engineering, or related field. Experience must be related to airport engineering, planning, construction and/or communities’ programs, and include some supervisory experience. A professional engineering license is required.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering and seven years of relevant work experience
Master's Degree with five years of relevant work experience
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|