Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte owns and operates six wastewater treatment facilities and is in design for the seventh with total treatment capacities of 123 million gallons per day. This position serves as the Administrative Officer at the Mallard Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) and provides some divisional level support.
Mallard Creek WWTP is owned and operated by the City of Charlotte and has a daily permitted flow capacity of 12 million gallons. This position involves various work duties that include finance, budget, procurement, payroll, customer service and general administrative functions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides courteous and helpful customer service to the public, which include internal and external customers. Greets visitors in accordance with established procedures.
• Provides administrative support consisting of requisition creation, purchase order management, travel preparation, employee reimbursements, provide payroll timesheet back-up support, records management, and reconciliates division credit cards.
• Assists in monitoring division budget and chemical use; Track and prepare various monthly benchmarking reports critical to plant operation; Monitor contract terms, research various issues and rectifies accounts payable discrepant invoices for payment.
• Provides administrative support which consist of ordering uniforms, office supplies, coordinating meetings, pick-up employee checks, assist with vendor registration
• Participate on project teams, including ISO 14001 ongoing compliance and review.
• Assist with the recruiting and onboarding process.
• Handle special projects as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PeopleSoft, Kronos, Munis and Concur
• Must have excellent oral/written communication skills, organizational skills
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work on multiple tasks within a team atmosphere.
• Detail oriented
• Preferred Associates degree or college coursework.
• Requires Class C driver’s license and ability to obtain a City Driving Permit
• High School Graduate or Equivalent and one year(s) of related work experience
• 2 Year College Degree
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The city is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.