The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position reports to the Service & Technology Procurement Manager as part of the Service & Technology Team responsible for performing all aspects of formal and informal procurement and contracting activities related to the acquisition of services for the City of Charlotte. This position provides procurement and contracting expertise and consultation in support of all procurement needs and requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates procurement and contracting activities from intake to execution for all city departments as requested and at the citywide level as determined necessary.
- Provides consultation on activities that impact procurement processes to include contracting decisions, project planning, requirements development, and scope development.
- Performs all procurement efforts utilizing statutory guidelines, policies, procedures, and best business practices
- Develops solicitation documents and facilitates informal and formal solicitation processes as required.
- Develops and negotiates all contractual documents as may be required.
- Identifies potential risks and recommends risk mitigation strategies in collaboration with City Legal, Risk Management, Internal Audit, and stakeholders
- Represents the City in vendor protest responses and works to ensure a strong contractually-guided professional business relationship with all vendors, contractors, service providers, subcontractors, and consultants.
- Acts as a liaison between the City and vendors to ensure best value contracts to achieve win/win relationships
- Performs secondary contract administration, monitoring, and reporting as required
- Responsible for proactively forecasting and managing all project assignments and keeping systems updated related project tracking.
- Interfaces with the City’s Charlotte Business INClusion Program to ensure participation and inclusion of small businesses in contracting opportunities while also supporting the program where appropriate in outreach and networking activities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Requires in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with the solicitation and procurement of services, including contract drafting, negotiation, execution, and management.
- Requires working knowledge of local, state, federal, and cooperative procurement exemption and contracting methodologies.
- Highly motivated and teachable professional able to function with minimal supervision, in partnership with all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree and one to three years of related experience
- Candidates with previous purchasing experience with a government entity and/or services specific purchasing experience are highly desired
- Professional certification(s) (i.e. C.C.M., CLGPO, C.P.M, CPPO, and CPPB) is strongly desired
Associate’s Degree and three years of related experience or a Bachelor’s Degree and one year of experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
$57,100 - $71,375 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.