The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Housing & Neighborhood Services focuses on creating vibrant, diverse neighborhoods through the delivery of five major service areas: Community Engagement, which works to create successful neighborhoods where people of diverse backgrounds and incomes can build successful lives, Office of Equity, Mobility, and Immigrant Integration, which advances upward mobility, immigrant services, diversity, equity and inclusion, Code Enforcement, which works to improve the appearance of communities and maintain standards of living, Housing Services, which provides housing and other programs and services for families residing in the City of Charlotte, and CharMeck 311, which provides important information and services for customers in the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
The Lead CSR serves as a Customer Service Representative in the 311 Call Center providing customer service and support, assisting in resolving higher level complaints and issues, coaching and developing CSRs, while fulfilling various CSR duties.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain professionalism and provide a superior level of customer service and satisfaction with each contact while listening carefully and accurately ascertaining and documenting requests from customers and employees
- Provide positive and supportive direction to CSRs
- Serve in a supervisory capacity to CSRs in absence of a supervisor, excluding performance appraisals or corrective actions
- Maintain high level of call management productivity, while achieving required performance expectations
- Work with CSRs to improve job performance by using coaching, monitoring, side by sides, and calibration
- Ensure all procedural requirements are met and perform all variable work assignments and related duties as required
- Assist with escalated calls, team meetings, questions and refresher training
- This position is considered essential. The 311 Contact Center Lead may be asked to work when other City offices are closed due to bad weather or other significant events
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of customer service excellence with the ability to respectfully and courteously 1) convey challenging messages to all customer types especially during escalated calls and 2) provide constructive feedback to CSRs
- Read, comprehend, retain, apply and implement new and updated policies and procedures on a continuous basis
- Work well under pressure, multi-task, and work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment
- Strong general computer skills with the ability to utilize the various software applications at CharMeck 311
- Strong work ethic with the ability to effectively manage confidential information
- Ability to research information as needed
- Excellent problem solving, organizational and verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to effectively receive feedback regarding performance
• Fully cross trained in all skills preferred
• At least one year of customer service in a high volume, in-bound call center environment
- High School Graduate or Equivalent and three years relevant experience, OR, Associate’s Degree and one year relevant experience.
- Current CharMeck 311 employee
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.