The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
We are currently seeking a Diesel Technician – Senior to join our award-winning Fleet Management Division. The Diesel Technician will be a key member of a dedicated team of ASE Medium and Heavy certified technicians, as well as Emergency Vehicle Technicians, supporting the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Our garages offer modern column lifts and state of the art factory diagnostic software and tooling. The City of Charlotte has a diverse and modern fleet of over 7,000 assets.
This is a first shift position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily evaluation, inspection, diagnosis and repair of heavy truck fleet, medium and light duty vehicle fleet, construction equipment, fire apparatus, and emergency vehicles.
- Diagnose and repair of complex electronically controlled diesel engines, modern electrical systems, on and off-road equipment drivetrains, air braking systems, steering and suspension, and complex hydraulic systems on fleet assets with a concentration in fire apparatus and emergency vehicles.
- Inspect vehicle systems, perform preventative maintenance, diagnosis and repair of failed components on vehicle's body, chassis and auxiliary systems.
- Assess and recommend actions for replacement and/or life cycle use of equipment.
- Utilize fleet maintenance software to accurately document work performed.
- Communicate with all levels of fleet operations and customers ensuring repairs are completed.
- Interpret manuals, electrical diagrams and diagnostic software.
- Understand and follow safety procedures.
- Support an on-call schedule 24 hours a day, including holidays and weekends, for 7 consecutive days.
- On-call schedule will require the technician to be on-call in a 4-week rotation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of methods, tools and materials used in maintaining and repairing automotive, heavy truck, fire apparatus, and emergency vehicle related equipment.
- Understanding of electrical and hydraulic schematics.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability.
- Commitment to life-long learning, keeping pace with new technology.
- Ability to effectively be part of team.
- Works in organized, clean and safe manner.
- Ability to perform roadside repairs with little or no guidance.
- Understands occupational hazards and safety precautions of trade.
- Skilled in use and care of tools, equipment and materials used in all types of automotive repair work.
- Ability to diagnose defects in a range of equipment from light vehicles to heavy trucks, construction equipment, and fire apparatus, in addition to performing complex mechanical repairs independently.
- Analyze, evaluate, and effectively write diagnosis and recommendation of work being performed to complete work orders.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to troubleshoot mobile communications equipment malfunctions.
- Ability to operate technical and computer test equipment.
- Ability to lift up 75 lbs. of equipment and/or tools.
- Must have or obtain the following licensures within ninety (90) days of hire:
- NC Inspection License
- AC Recover and Recycling License
- Must have within one year of hire:
- Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Must possess valid driver’s license, good driving record, and ability to obtain and maintain City driving permit.
- Must have basic hand tools and tool storage upon hire.
- Considerable experience in performing journeyman level diesel service technician work on all types of heavy equipment.
- Experience with diagnosing and repairing medium to heavy fleet and equipment including fire apparatus and emergency vehicles.
- Degree or certification from an accredited technical school, college, or manufacturer training certification recognized by ASE.
- ASE/EVT certification(s) applicable to position.
- Five (5) years of relevant work experience or a High School diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
- $55,000 - $59,800 Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.