The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Supervise and participate in the work of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled workers performing field operations of moderate to considerable scope and complexity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise crews of Airfield Maintenance Technicians who are using airfield sweepers and water flushers and grading equipment, repairing asphalt and concrete pavement and pavement crack filling, FOD removal, airfield mowing, airport specific heavy equipment operations and other miscellaneous duties.
- Manage and oversee various work task performed by airport staff to ensure division demand and that responsibilities are being met and all while FAA, TSA and MAT regulations are being followed.
- Monitor and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of assigned technicians by assigning, directing and participating in their daily work. Ensure technicians follow safety rules and department and airport specific regulations. Keep management fully informed about daily operations.
- Review, investigate, resolve or make recommendations about requests for service or property maintenance needed all while maintaining FAA part 139 and TSA security compliance requirements.
- Coordinate and supervise the daily use and airfield maintenance of supplies and equipment and make recommendations for repairs. Assign and test and train on specialized airport specific equipment.
- Review and maintain accurate records and work orders daily.
- Originate and maintain documentation for employee performance appraisals.
- Train new technicians in Department and Division training and provide ongoing training for experienced technicians. Maintain accurate training records for Division and Aviation specific Training.
- Operate a variety of other equipment, such as loaders, backhoes, dozers, skid steers, dump trucks, multifunction snow plows and airport specific snow equipment, during demonstrating or assessing equipment use or capabilities.
- Perform job duties while complying with all MAT and FAA airport requirements and TSA security requirements.
- Perform Job duties require operation vehicles or heavy equipment in/on and around active runway and taxiway environments while follow instructions provided by FAA traffic controllers and following airfield signage, lighting and paint marking instructions.
This position reports Saturday to Tuesday- 5:30am to 3:30am.
Must have valid driver’s license and ability to qualify for City driving permit. Ability to acquire MAT endorsement within 6 months.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the work performed by workers supervised.
- Considerable knowledge of occupational hazards, environmental regulations, safety precautions or trade and the ability to enforce adequate safety precautions against such hazards.
- Considerable knowledge of and skill in the use of the standard methods, materials, tools and equipment related to the assigned areas of work or specialty.
- Excellent organizational and reasoning skills required, as well as the ability to follow directions, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, complete projects accurately and on schedule and maintain and prepare records and reports.
- Ability to supervise, assign and inspect work of a crew of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled subordinates.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, tenants and the public.
Experience in general construction, labor and maintenance work, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties. Supervisory experience preferred. Must be familiar with or have the ability to become familiar with FAA part 139 standard requirements for the airfield environment, TSA airport security requirements, and FAA part 77 standard requirements.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and five years related work experience
Associate's Degree and three years related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.