Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Work Zone Locations:
Zone 1: 11609 Hord Drive Huntersville, NC 28078
Zone 2: 5730 General Commerce Drive Charlotte, NC 28213
Zone 3: 12131 Park Road Charlotte, NC 28226
Zone 4: 4100 West Tyvola Charlotte, NC 28208
This is a physical job that requires performing manual labor and operating light to heavy equipment. No experience necessary but we are looking for individuals who want to work outside in all weather conditions performing physical work.
Some positions might require the employee to perform tasks of a hazardous nature such as working in confined spaces or near traffic. This position is essential to our operations and the community and may require overtime, holidays, call-back or on-call outside of normal scheduled hours.
This is an entry level position in our Utility Technician career path.
We want employees who will:
• Be on time & ready to work as scheduled
• Embrace learning & on-the-job training
• Take initiative
• Take direction & feedback
• Be honest
• Stay until job is done
• Work in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow or other severe weather)
• Take pride in their work
• Be a team player
• Focus on safety
• Be career focused
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Performs tasks of physical nature
• Use machines or tools to cut out streets & driveways
• Digs out pipes or other underground equipment manually or with equipment
• Locates underground utilities on job
• Performs simple measurements
• Interprets meter readings
• Performs routine safety inspections
• Receives parts & materials from warehouse personnel
• Interacts with our customers in positive & helpful manner
• Transports materials / tools / equipment to & from job sites in vehicle
• Sets up & removes warning signs / traffic control devices
• Operates various equipment such as:
o electronic utility locators
o hand & power tools
o fire hydrants
o gas monitors
o air compressors
o pneumatic tools
• Maintains clean & safe work area
• Performs other related work
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Follow safety guidelines
• Read & write
• Understand / follow oral & written instructions
• Read & interpret maps
• Drive & work safely
• Perform work requiring physical strength
• Work in confined spaces
• Operate small & large equipment
• Work in team atmosphere & resolve conflict
• Be a self-starter
• Maintain flexibility
• Communicate effectively
• Be courteous under pressure
• Establish & maintain effective working relationships with co-workers / citizens
• Use & care of tools / equipment
• Valid driver’s license
• Obtain & maintain City driving permit
• Obtain Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL with tanker endorsement) within 12 months of hire
• Two years construction and/or utility experience
• Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL with tanker endorsement)
• High School diploma or GED
• Valid Driver’s License
• Must obtain a CDL Class A Tanker Endorsement License within 18 months
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.