Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Professional - Technology
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. Charlotte Water Technology provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to Charlotte Water and its partner agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery. Charlotte Water Technology is a division of City of Charlotte Innovation & Technology and directly supports Charlotte Water.
Charlotte Water Technology is seeking an I&T Data Services Administrator to support the development, governance, and execution of the Charlotte Water data and analytics program. Work involves monitoring and maintaining integration infrastructure including the data warehouse environment, master data services, custom scripts, and analytics applications; researching future analytics technology; managing servers; providing consulting and advisory services; maintaining databases through complex data processing jobs; and conducting user training. This position also participates in various department and City-wide committees and collaborates with a data analytics community to provide the organization with tools that enhance decision making capabilities across the organization.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Support Charlotte Water activities and initiatives in relation to the Utility's strategic goals and objectives.
• Contribute to the architectural vision for enterprise data development, including the design and deployment of data and logical models.
• Act as a custodian of the Charlotte Water data warehouse and all Charlotte Water business system data used to support the Business Intelligence system ensuring an efficient and accurate delivery of services.
• Design and develop ETL jobs, sequences, and exception reporting.
• Utilize automation tools to schedule, execute, and monitor ETL jobs.
• Design, test, and debug data flow plans to create necessary client files and/or populated databases.
• Tune and monitor data flows to meet operational production requirements.
• Document data elements and how they are used and accessed by other applications and reporting subsystems.
• Assist Charlotte Water data stewards with data cleanup.
• Coordinate activities with data source owners to ensure integration, data integrity and data quality.
• Partner with the Business Intelligence Specialist and business analysts to ensure effective delivery of services and solutions.
• Work with key business partners to understand business priorities and develop effective and timely data solutions.
• Continually recommend, develop, and implement process improvements and tools to collect and analyze data, and visualize/present insights.
• Participate and contribute to the City of Charlotte’s data analytics community.
• Provides technical and training assistance to users as needed either as part of the Operational Excellence Academy or internally to Charlotte Water business users.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• IT infrastructure and other technologies.
• Data warehouse practices, methodologies, and governance.
• Business intelligence systems including analytics tools used for reporting and dashboards, foundational data warehouse management, data governance, business process improvement, and change management.
• ETL processes and best practices.
• ETL tools - WhereScape Red and SQL Server Integration Services.
• SQL, PL/SQL, packages, procedures, functions, and triggers.
• Performance tuning of SQL statements, stored procedures, and functions.
• The software development lifecycle, release management practices, and change management processes.
• Maintaining effective and appropriate working relationships.
• Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature.
• Analysis and troubleshooting.
• Customer service.
• Meet schedules and deadlines of the work.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Work independently with minimum direction.
• Analyze and troubleshoot database components, performance, and functionality.
• Read, analyze, and interpret complex technical documents, diagrams, data models, and process documents.
• Assist with testing strategies, conditions, and evaluation of expected results.
• Three (3) years of experience working as a data architect, developer, or administrator in a Microsoft SQL Server environment.
• Experience working with ETL/ELT tools such as WhereScape and SQL Server Integration Services.
• Experience working with Business Intelligence tools such as Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, or Qlik.
• General knowledge of water and wastewater operations.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
• Three (3) years of relevant work experience supporting data integration operations and enterprise level data warehouses.
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Required Licenses or Certifications
• Valid Driver’s License
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The city is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.