Storm Water Services maintains and improves stormwater infrastructure within the City streets and rights-of-way. Staff currently manages more than 400 storm drainage improvement projects, implements a diverse array of surface water quality initiatives, and ensure new development mitigates impacts to the drainage system. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with more than 200,000 customer accounts and about 200 employees.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position will be based in Storm Water Services, Construction and Utilities Division, and is responsible for inspection and contract administration of Storm Water contracts and utility coordination in preparation for future Storm Water projects including Flood control, Water Quality and Point Repairs.
This position is eligible for a $1500 sign-on bonus.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain all documentation in appropriate folders to include all information pertaining to a project; update folders regularly and maintain diaries in accordance with department policy.
- Work cooperatively with external/internal project designers, private utility representatives, PMs, and other stakeholders.
- Manage site preparation contracts in accordance with approved utility relocation plans and in advance of the utility relocation schedule.
- Provide input to update the utility coordination and relocation process when needed.
- Compile historical utility coordination and relocation data.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with all private utility companies.
- Manage time to meet changing workflow and priorities.
- Keep Construction Manager informed about all issues that may delay or increase costs on projects.
- Submit survey requests through City Survey online.
- Request locates from NC811.
- Process approved utility invoices.
- Ensure the utilities have requested all necessary/appropriate property easements, access, and site preparation.
- Implement project special provisions that impact utility relocations.
- Use and manage cell phone, laptop and tools (measuring wheels, paint and paint markers, tape, etc.) in accordance with City policies.
- Attend all safety trainings and functions as required by the City, department, or division.
- Perform work in a safe manner in accordance with training, policies and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of materials, methods and practices used in various types of construction.
- Basic knowledge of private utility systems.
- Ability to read and interpret the project plans.
- Basic knowledge with above-ground and underground utility clearances.
- Basic knowledge of construction plans, specifications, and sequencing.
- Good communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Basic knowledge of computer software applications including spreadsheets and word processing.
- Requires good driving record, a valid Driver’s License, a dependable passenger vehicle, and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
- Previous construction experience in storm drainage system installation.
- Basic understanding of and experience in landscaping and site restoration.
- Basic understanding and experience in water quality best management practices.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Software (Excel, Word, Access, Outlook)
- Associate degree in Civil Engineering or related field. Ability to communicate in English and Spanish. Experience in general construction activities including basic surveying, engineering and construction standards and procedures
- Graduation from high school and three (3) years of experience or equivalent combination of education, work experience, and relevant industry/job specific knowledge, skills, and/or certifications may be considered to perform the essential duties of the position
- $52,806 - $66,008 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.