The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
We are recruiting for a Project Coordinator position based in the In-House Planning and Design Section of the Engineering Services Division. The Project Coordinator is responsible for applying engineering design principles to develop construction plans, specifications and estimates for municipal transportation infrastructure projects initiated by the City and/or NCDOT.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and prioritizes the necessary tasks to complete construction documents
- Develops preliminary and final plans and designs using computer aided design (CAD) and other engineering and drafting tools
- Calculates cost estimates and project budgets
- Prepares record drawings in accordance with State requirements
- Responsible for all design features which may include: roadway alignments, traffic control, utilities, drainage, hydrology and hydraulics, grading, erosion control, structures, right-of-way and other features needed to design a complete and functional project
- Work performed is technical and detailed, requiring application of professional engineering principles and quantitative analysis
- May also involve some project management duties
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully apply engineering design principles to develop construction plans, specifications and estimates for municipal infrastructure projects
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop technical reports
- Ability to work independently on designs while being a team member
- Ability to comprehend, assess and apply fundamental engineering and construction principles to project initiation, planning, implementation and closeout
- CAD proficiency and experience with Civil 3D is preferred
- Apply and direct change control principles to project planning and implementation
- Work cooperatively with other City employees and the public
- Knowledge of and ability to use conflict resolution techniques
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and ability to receive and maintain a City Driving Permit
- Engineering In Training (EIT) is preferred
- Previous engineering or construction management experience demonstrating progressive responsibility in civil engineering or municipal transportation capital improvement projects is desirable
- Previous design or technical planning experience in civil engineering projects is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field and at least one year of experience.
$69,404 - $86,755 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.