The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This administrative position directly supports the business function of the Planning, Design and Development Department’s Land Development division in the CLT Development Center, a customer focused center for permitting site development in Charlotte. The primary and core functions and tasks include, but not limited to, administrative and detail-oriented work requiring application of business management principles and practices. Work is performed with close general supervision depending on the nature of the assignment and evaluated based on work products and results.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Report and target summary data and information collection for budget preparation and fiscal projections
- Completes daily deposits, complies fee collection data and tracks collection percentages
- Process reconciliation of the division’s credit card (P-Card)
- Assist with the implementation and eventual management of the CLT Development Center”s on-line payment process
- Coordinate requests for transfer of funds
- Analyzes expenses & revenues
- Ability to use the division’s software database, Accela, for financial tracking including invoicing, online payment verification, and refund documentation
- Maintains records for projects and contracts
- Processes invoices / other financial & administrative transactions
- Collects / completes / organizes / analyzes / interprets information for periodic & special reports
- Answers or refers inquiries & complaints to appropriate CLT Development Center staff
- Coordinate division staff meetings
- Coordinate and process professional certifications, licenses, and training for staff
- Processes confidential matters
- Monitor and order office supplies
- Ability to deal with the public tactfully & courteously
- Ability to compose effective & accurate correspondence
- Performs other administrative & clerical responsibilities, as needed, including acting as backup to the CLT Development Center front desk
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of business English / spelling / punctuation / arithmetic
- Considerable knowledge of the principles / methods of office management & of modern office procedures / systems / equipment
- Ability to work independently on responsible / confidential clerical & related administrative / technical / secretarial tasks
- Knowledge of budget administration & accounting
- Knowledge of research methods & techniques
- Knowledge of business or public administration / financial reporting / accounting procedures
- Ability to collect / complete / organize / analyze / interpret financial reports as required for special & ongoing management needs
- Ability to perform accurate & rapid calculations
- Prepare clear & concise reports using research work performed on statistical skills
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with other employees & members of the public
- Ability to carry out assignments based upon brief & general instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively orally & in writing
- Proficient in technology applicable to work required of the position
- Experience in business administration functions
- Background related to working in a customer service environment
- Associate’s degree
- Understanding of land development and/or construction terminology or processes
- High School diploma/GED with one year of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a city driver’s permit
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.