The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is a highly respected law enforcement agency, both in our community and nationally. Our progressive department provides exciting opportunities for law enforcement professionals to develop partnerships with our citizens in order to prevent the next crime, and to enhance the quality of life within our community always treating people with fairness and respect. The department employs nearly 2,000 sworn officers and over 500 civilians serving a jurisdiction with close to 1 million people. Our employees are men and women from diverse backgrounds interested in meeting the needs of and serving an equally diverse community. The men and women of the CMPD are committed to providing the very best service possible and maintaining the high level of confidence this community has in us.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Public Information Specialist Senior works to coordinate messages and distribute information about CMPD’s efforts to fight crime, engage with the community and develop its employee workforce. This position is primarily dedicated to creating messages, videos, photographs and graphics for various CMPD websites, newsletters, emails, and social media platforms.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Pitching, writing, videotaping, photographing, editing, coordinating stories and videos, etc.
• Communicating with higher management in a timely manner
• Researching audience preferences and discovering current / new trends
• Suggesting new ways to attract followers on CMPD’s YouTube page by developing engaging videos and materials
• Developing outstanding relationships with officers at all levels of department
• Handling multiple projects, completing tasks and assignments in a timely manner
• Analyzing practices and improving results by streamlining approaches and cost-effective methods
• Managing and assigning deadlines for content
• Assisting with infrastructural development of the key strategies; processes; workflows; and protocols of media relations, internal communications, and crisis communications
• Displaying competence of public information assignments such as press releases, media advisories, media lists, interview coordination, etc.
• Applying video equipment expertise
• Managing logistics for press conferences
• All other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Expertise in multiple social media platforms including but not limited to: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Major course work in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, or other related fields
• Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, creative “outside-the-box” thinker, possess vast knowledge of social media outlets
• Extensive problem-solving skills & solutions-oriented approach
• Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
• Adobe Creative Cloud skills
• Excellent writing, proofreading, analytical, problem solving, verbal skills
• Excellent videography, photography, storytelling, editing skills
• Handle multiple tasks & meet deadlines while prioritizing
• Integrate PR & marketing programs supporting overall goals & objectives
• Work independently & virtually with mobility
• Learn new technology quickly
• Perform & excel within integrated / fast-paced team environment
• Work nights & weekends as necessary
• Must be able to work outside of traditional 8a-5p hours
• Ongoing on-call expectations
ADA and Other Requirements
Positions in this class typically require; grasping, stooping, squatting, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
• Remaining in a stationary position, often sitting or standing for prolonged periods
• Occasional movement throughout the workday daily to interact with staff and accomplish tasks
• Communicating both verbally and written in order to exchange information
• Repeating motions of holding, grasping, turning, that may include the wrist, hands, and/or fingers
• Light to moderate lifting and carrying
• Lift up to 50 pounds
• Work primarily in office environment
• Ability to operate office equipment, such as computer, copier, fax machine, and phone
• Concentrated and attentive use of one or more senses (visual, audio, and other sensory modalities) for proof reading, data entry, tabulating data
• Ability to operate in an environment with frequent interruptions from people and or noises, which in return could result in some level of stress, fatigue, or strain
• Comprehension of written information in work related documents
• Ability to hear, understand, and distinguish speech
Work is performed in both indoor office environment and outdoors with moderate exposure to atmospheric conditions; moderate exposure to environmental conditions (such as officers, community members, victims, etc.); and frequent exposure to computer screens, files and phone.
B.A. Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, or any other related fields and 3 years relevant work experience
Associate degree and five years of relevant experience or High School Diploma or equivalent with seven years of relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
- Paid weekly
- 10 days annual paid vacation (full-time employee)
- 12 days annual paid sick leave (full-time employee)
- 11 holidays (special rules may apply to some jobs) and one floating personal day
- Military, jury duty, funeral & school support paid leave
- Health, dental, vision & life insurance coverages
- Employer paid short-term disability program
- Coverage under the NC Retirement System or the Charlotte Firefighters' Retirement System (if a firefighter) pension plans
- Employer contribution to the City's 401(k) plan
- 401(k) & 457 voluntary deferred compensation programs
- Flexible spending account and health savings account programs
- Free and confidential Employee Assistance Program
- Educational reimbursement for approved college education
- Early Retirement Options
Employee Learning & Development Opportunities:
- Business skills development
- Diversity initiatives
- Leadership development initiatives
- Technology training
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.