The Innovation and Technology department for the City of Charlotte is currently recruiting for a Cyber Security Manager. This crucial role will be responsible for managing and monitoring cyber security information systems by ensuring compliance, leading the response to cyber security incidents, and researching and maintaining awareness of the latest cyber threats and vulnerabilities. This position will provide leadership with all City technology and business teams to ensure that necessary technical and compliance security requirements are met. As a member of the Innovation and Technology Cyber Security team, this individual will manage and monitor operational-related security systems and initiatives to support technology infrastructure, enterprise applications and services while also ensuring cyber security technology can ward off attempts by attackers who are targeting sensitive consumer and corporate information. This individual will manage and develop efforts to automate cyber security processes to reduce risk to Charlotte.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all security tools, systems, and technology.
- Manage and monitor regulatory and industry standards compliance
- Work with different departments in the organization to reduce risk.
- Implement new technology that reduces risk for the city
- Audit policies and controls continuously.
- Ensure cybersecurity stays on the organizational radar.
- Develop and direct implementation of security standards and best practices for the organization.
- Recommend security enhancements to Chief Security Officer
- Manage fiscal functions within the Cyber Security budget.
- Must be able to work efficiently, expeditiously, and independently with limited supervision.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Manage security posture for SaaS solutions including the development and enforcement of security standards and review/approval of proposed cloud solutions.
- Lead vulnerability management efforts across workstation and server infrastructure (Windows and Linux).
- Oversee endpoint security functions including EPP, EDP, and security baselines.
- Manage PAM and Remote Privileged Access capabilities.
- Provide leadership for IAM operations and security for both cloud IdP and on-prem AD solutions, including management of role-based security implementation and approvals.
- Coordinate penetration tests and other annual audit activities.
- Manage security analytics platform and SIEM capabilities for investigations, dashboarding, and other security analytics.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a dynamic, cross-functional team environment.
- Extensive experience managing a technology budget across the full budget cycle, including entering budget requests, managing shortfalls, managing vendor/reseller relationships, and acquisition of technology products and services.
- Eligibility for Federal security clearance is required, existing clearance preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of investigation, correlation, and response to alerts in a SIEM system.
- Experience with using EDR systems and other IR technologies to investigate cyber security incidents on workstations and servers.
- Extensive knowledge of vulnerability management and remediation of discovered vulnerabilities, including vulnerability assessment and management of remediation plans for cyber security gaps.
- Extensive knowledge of scripting languages such as PowerShell, python, or bash.
- Extensive knowledge of vulnerability assessment tools such as Tenable Nessus, Qualys VM, Nmap, or Metasploit.
- Extensive knowledge of cyber security policy and process development, including the ability to clearly document policies and processes.
- Extensive experience with project management concepts, including the ability to coordinate and execute IT security projects.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft Azure.
- Extensive experience with Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Extensive experience with IT system security review processes, including threat modeling, and other risk identification techniques.
- Extensive experience with cloud security concepts and techniques, including the ability to assess existing cloud implementations for security issues, engineer and implement new cloud security tools, and provide security expertise for DevOps/SecOps teams.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a related field
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in Information Technology or Cyber Security
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job functions
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.