This role will be responsible for establishing a business systems analysis function and community of practice within the Business Engagement Services division for I&T. This role will be responsible for supervising the gathering, analyzing, and defining of end user business requirements and/or administration, maintenance, and support of departmental systems, allocating resources to meet identified needs, and approving project budgets and schedules. Additional responsibilities include contributing to project governance and formally supervising the work of lower levels in this career family.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and lead a business systems analysis community of practice to align approach, develop guidelines, standards, processes, etc. for this function
- Supervise the work of assigned personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations
- Coordinate technology projects and serves as a team leader, member, and liaison for various departments and projects as a point of contact. Providing service excellence and consultancy role for stakeholders.
- Manage projects by generating project plans, determining project goals and strategies, monitoring and obtaining status updates, coordinating resources, tracking expenditures, and managing vendor relations
- Handle implementations by collaborating with the technology team and customers, cooperating with training personnel, and assisting technical writers in document organization. Enforces policies and procedures related to technology systems and evaluates and recommends technology solutions.
- Perform business analysis and additionally ensures systems are meeting business requirements. Identifies scopes of technology solutions, research problems, documents customer solutions, creates and submits documentation and reviews and approves proposed solutions.
- Analyze and design systems by performing research on related technologies, coordinating design sessions, conducting meetings, assisting with design and development processes, and reviewing technologies for integration points.
- Interface with vendors about new initiatives, contract disputes or negotiations, defects, or other issues.
- Perform related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Principles and practices of employee supervision
- System life cycle management
- Principles and practices of business analysis, requirements writing, business process mapping and improvement
- Project management methodology
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Strong leadership
- System life cycle and project coordination/management
- Demonstrated history of providing effective customer service
- Detail-oriented with excellent organization, time management, and project management skills
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Demonstrate strong abilities in negotiation, persuasion, and conflict resolution.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and ability to communicate with persons at different levels of the organization, technology aptitude or skills
- Review and revise technical documents and templates
- Identify, analyze, and provide recommendations on business and systems processes and procedures
- Plan for review of policies, procedures, and processes
Six Sigma and/or Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) or equivalents are a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
- Five (5) or more years of experience in business analysis, requirements definition and information technology support
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job functions
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.