The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Business Systems Analyst (BA) is responsible for fully documenting overall business processes, as well as recommending best practices for solutions based on client business needs. This role as a BA will require research of new applications and processes, strategic design and mapping of business logic, functional and technical requirements, and solutions to system/technical requirements. The BA will also be responsible for documenting current applications business process and writing technical specifications (for custom development, system integration, etc.) based on interactions directly with the customer and the technical team. These specifications will need to be precise and clear to allow for development staff to effectively develop the resulting application, and quality assurance staff to complete testing. This position will also be providing Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) functions for all new systems coming on-line. This is an important part of our process and will be integral to this role. This position is a key provider of recommendations for systems in Public Safety Technology at the City of Charlotte.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Document current software system and business processes. Map out new processes to ensure customer sign off is achieved.
- Use structured analysis methods to understand and document new business needs and drive technical solutions, whether internally or externally developed
- Assist the organization in detecting and prioritizing business problems and developing specifications for change and improvement
- Participate in design sessions with developers, testers, database administrators, and technical writers.
- Schedule and facilitate focus groups with customers to gather and clarify processes and requirements based on feedback from other technical staff.
- Assist development and business teams with the design process by making suggestions and documenting the final screen designs and solutions identified.
- Deliver all completed documents to developers, quality assurance, and technical writing team.
- Design and execute test cases, scripts, plans and procedures. Perform unit, integration, and system tests. Coordinate user acceptance testing efforts and perform user acceptance test sessions for the end-user.
- Document defects/enhancements analyzes priority and severity of defects and assigns to appropriate resource for correction
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate strong abilities in negotiation, persuasion, motivation, and conflict resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability communicate appropriately with persons possessing a different level of technology aptitude or skills.
- Expert in decomposing complex business requirements into easily digestible and understandable products.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Self-starter and detail-oriented with excellent organizational, time management, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and appropriate decision-making competencies
- Ability to identify, analyze and provide recommendations on business and systems processes and procedures.
- Familiarity with relational database concepts and client-server concepts
- Familiarity with the software Development Release process and life cycles
- Proficient in MS suite including Visio and Sharepoint
- A high level of systems application and data structure knowledge.
- Knowledge of Information Technology best practices, standards, and terminology.
- Familiarity of Waterfall and Agile methodologies (Scrum and Kanban). DevOps also a plus.
- Three or more years of Business Analysis experience
- Experience working with technical systems support professionals, e.g. project managers, business system and application analyst, network administrators, database administrators, and application developers.
- Some experience working within the Public Safety Technology field delivering products or services to support operational customers is a plus.
- Some experience designing and executing test cases, scripts, plans and procedures. Creates, modifies, and executes automated test scripts using automated testing tools.
- Some experience creating, modifying, and/or executing automated test scripts using automated testing tools
Requires a four-year degree in Computer Science, IS/IT, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of experience and training necessary to successfully perform the essential job functions
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.