Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is based in Storm Water Services Land Development Section and is primarily responsible for reviewing and approving construction plans for compliance with City Storm Water regulations and development standards. This is a senior level engineering position requiring expert knowledge in land development regulations and civil engineering principles and practices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide professional and technical instruction, guidance, and information to consultants, contractors, engineers, other City officials, and the public regarding design and regulatory issues.
- Reviews construction and engineering plans, designs, and specifications pertaining to land development projects and makes recommendations on design strategies, or other aspects of plan approval.
- Oversee compliance and enforcement of land development activities with respect to all local ordinances governing stormwater management.
- Works closely with staff on the implementation, interpretation, and administration of the Charlotte Post-Construction Stormwater Ordinance
- Serves as a resource to other groups within the Development Center pertaining to improvements in the permitting process.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for other City ordinances pertaining to stormwater and development.
- Review rezoning petitions for stormwater impacts as part of the City’s rezoning process.
- Ensure proper balance of regulatory authority and customer advocacy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- High level of technical competence in the areas of engineering, stormwater principles, and permitting processes.
- Proficient in applying hydraulic and hydrologic modeling principles and methods.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Requires ability to work cooperatively with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to determine appropriate level of regulation and flexibility where necessary.
- Ability to communicate information to technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrates ability to apply conflict resolution techniques and positive solution development
- Looks for opportunities to improve services and processes.
- Is open-minded and considers multiple options.
- Knowledge and experience in storm water management, engineering principles, and land development permitting practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and five (5) years of related experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
- $80,344 - $100,430 Commensurate with Experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.