The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The position performs a wide range of Human Resources activities for the Aviation Department at Charlotte Douglas International Airport, which includes a diverse, non-union workforce of nearly 700 positions occupying over 100 different job classifications (e.g. laborers, skilled trades, paraprofessional and professional occupations). Duties include carrying out processes associated with employee relations and legal compliance, performance review, conducting investigations and terminations. Attention to detail, and strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively plan, prioritize and organize work is essential to be successful. Works in partnership with other Human Resources Generalists and Human Resources professionals in the department and provides support to the Human Resources Manager. Work is performed with latitude for discretion, independent judgment and action under minimal supervision; initiative is expected. Work requires extensive contact with internal and external customers, and representatives from a variety of organizations.
• Primarily works business hours, Monday through Friday. Subject to calls and work during irregular hours, overtime, and emergency calls back to work.
• Valid driver’s license in state of residency and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
• Ability to pass a background check in advance of start date required. Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Investigate, respond to, and resolve complaints made by employees, supervisors and outside parties. Investigations include initial intake, interviews, and associated research, preparation of findings and follow-up documentation and communication. Provide recommendations to HRM regarding resolution. Represent the department at legal proceedings such as unemployment and pre-termination hearings. Provide research and prepare written documentation in support of other legal actions such as grievances, EEOC claims, worker’s compensation claims, liability, and other suits.
2. Educate, counsel and provide support to supervisors and employees to facilitate consistent application of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, performance standards, disciplinary and termination procedures. Serve as the primary representative on human resource issues for assigned divisions. Recommend actions regarding employee counseling and discipline.
3. Facilitate timely completion of appraisals. Ensure supervisors are aware of the merit dates and other action dates of their employees. Assist with reviewing appraisals, and tracking due dates, merit increases and lump sums. Train, guide and assist supervisory staff with documentation to promote consistent application of ratings.
4. Receive and respond to requests regarding leaves of absence (FMLA, personal, Military, etc.). Maintain records. Ensure ADA Accommodation Requests are received, acted upon, and monitored on a regular and consistent basis. Conduct FMLA/ADA Training.
5. Assist with Worker’s Compensation injuries that require restricted duty and absences from work. Explain process and requirements to employees and their supervisors to ensure all know their responsibilities. Identify restricted duty assignments and ensure all parties know their responsibilities. Serve as liaison between Risk Management and employee as needed.
6. Collaborate on recruitment activities including development of job descriptions, requisitions, and advertisements. Research and recommend recruitment strategies to increase applicant pool for hard to fill positions. Ensure the interview and hiring process is properly completed, including conditional offers of employment, pre-placement testing and security screening, and verification of employment, education, licenses, and certifications.
7. Assist with position classification changes, trades, Service Level Changes (SLC) requests for the upcoming fiscal year and related actions. Perform associated research and make recommendations. Prepare required documents for review by the Human Resources Manager and Assistant Airport Director I (Organizational and Talent Development Director).
8. Assist with onboarding and departing activities including new employee orientation and exit interviews. Assist with analyzing statistical data such as turnover and other significant employment trends. Recommend turnover reduction steps as needed.
9. Prepare materials and conduct training related to Human Resources topics.
10. Assist with health and wellness initiatives, services and programs.
11. Serve as a back-up for PeopleSoft activities including payroll review, entering weekly transactions, and generating reports.
12. Complete special projects as assigned.
13. Build collaborative and effective working relationships with staff across the divisions of the department.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration.
• Considerable knowledge of employment laws and policies.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of and skill using various software tools, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Ability to adhere to procedures and maintain strict confidentiality.
• Ability to learn PeopleSoft and other software required to perform duties.
• Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in establishing, applying and interpreting departmental policies and procedures.
• Ability to identify and analyze problems, and identify possible solutions in support of established goals. Ability to analyze complex problems, and prepare recommendations and working procedures.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City departments and the public, representing the airport in a positive manner.
• Ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to prepare and present clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Ability to analyze statistical and historical data, apply and use results for process changes, report writing and presentations.
• Ability to identify and effectively respond to issues, concerns and needs. Ability to actively pursue and develop new ideas, methods and procedures to meet changing situations.
Prefer a minimum of 3 years of employee relations experience. Major coursework in Human Resources Management, Business or Public Administration, Psychology or a related field of study preferred. Experience must include involvement handling employee relations issues. PHR Certification or SHRM-CP preferred.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 3 years of employee relations experience.
Experience must include involvement handling employee relations issues.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.