The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets, Charlotte FC and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte’s Office of Strategy and Budget is looking for an enthusiastic individual with a strong work ethic and attention to detail who wants to make an impact on the City and our community. The position will partner with assigned departments to develop annual budgets to fund services, design performance measures that assess progress toward achieving City Council’s Strategic Priorities, and review items for City Council’s Business Agendas.
Applicants should note that after initial training period, the expectation is that the individual in this position will fulfill the position’s duties and responsibilities through a hybrid on-site/off-site work schedule.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Works with assigned departments to understand service priorities and resource needs
• Evaluates budget requests of assigned departments to develop detailed analysis and narrative explanations
• Prepares concise and defensible recommendations for resource allocation
• Assists with problem solving of budget issues such as feasibility of service expansion
• Monitors revenues and expenditures of assigned departments during the fiscal year
• Coordinates collection, preparation, and review of information needed for finalizing and publishing City Council Business Agendas
• Prioritizes and completes multiple time-sensitive items requiring follow up with others
• Analyzes procedures and workflow of processes and recommends improvements
• Conducts research and helps to prepare special reports on issues such as benchmarking services
• Identifies administrative needs and develops appropriate solutions or recommendations
• Coordinates or participates in special projects or study teams
• Collaborates both in-person and virtually with team members
• Provides on-site coverage on a rotating basis with other Analysts
• Conduct site visits with assigned departments and projects
• Covers administrative duties and logistics for the Office and or/projects as needed (such as creating, printing, and distributing meeting materials).
• Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to:
o Translate ideas from others into concise written form
o Draft high-quality documents and materials
o Clearly and concisely communicate key points
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks at once and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail
• Must demonstrate a strong work ethic and be self-motivated to take initiative and ask insightful questions to complete assigned projects
• Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex, and confidential issues and situations
• Ability to analyze administrative problems, make sound recommendations as to their solutions, and prepare working procedures
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within all levels of the organization
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, take responsibility on assigned tasks, and continue to increase work contributions by building upon knowledge gained
• Requires demonstrated ability to collaborate with others and follow up as needed to develop quality work products within deadlines.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word are required
Bachelor’s or Master Degree with experience in budgeting and drafting, reviewing, and editing documents preferred.
Associate's Degree and three years related work experience
Bachelor's Degree and one year related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.