The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Talent Acquisition Manager performs a wide range of talent acquisition activities for the Aviation Department at Charlotte Douglas International Airport, which includes a diverse workforce. CLT comprises nearly 700 positions occupying over 100 different job classifications (e.g., laborers, skilled trades, paraprofessional, and professional occupations).
This position oversees the airport’s talent acquisition services and leads a team of Talent Acquisition professionals. Supervision will also include contract staff to innovate, design, develop and deploy transformative talent acquisition practices and drive strategic outcomes for Airport operations. The Manager will strategize and implement new approaches to marketing, sourcing, and candidate relations. The Manager will also be responsible for staffing policies and practices, federals and local government compliance, requisition through on-boarding operations, and reporting. The Manager and their team participate in strategic initiatives sponsored by other division and/or teams such as Workforce Planning, Succession Planning, Onboarding, and system designs related to talent acquisition. This is a high-profile position requiring strong collaboration and communication skills. The ability to influence and develop productive partnerships, and to develop creative, innovative solutions will also be essential skills. The exercise of considerable independent judgment and initiative is vital to the success of this leader.
• Primarily works business hours, Mon- Fri. Schedule subject to calls and work during irregular hours, overtime, and emergency calls back to work.
• Valid driver’s license in state of residency and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit.
• Ability to pass a background check in advance of start date required. Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Directly manage, coach, and develop a team of talent acquisition professionals and contract staff responsible for department recruitment and position management activities.
2. Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants, particularly for managerial, exempt, and professional roles; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required.
3. Partners with the leadership team to understand and execute the City of Charlotte and airport talent strategies particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning.
4. Assist the Assistant Airport Director I with budget development/management, and other activities related to effectively managing division and supporting department/corporate-level activities.
5. Integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices through all talent processes.
6. Lead or participate in Aviation department sponsored special projects or initiative pertaining to talent management.
7. Collaborate with City of Charlotte Human Resources, Aviation Human Resources Manager, Workforce Development Manager, Learning & Professional Development Manager and Leadership across the organization to create and integrated approach for talent programs to effectively identify, attract, hire, develop, deploy, promote, and retain talent.
8. Manage allocation of people and financial resources for recruiting.
9. Ensures effective management controls are in place. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement and directs implementation of changes which will improve the quality and productivity of the work performed.
10. Oversee recruitment activities including development of job descriptions, requisitions, and advertisements. Ensure the interview and hiring process is properly monitored including conditional offers of employment, pre-placement testing and security screening, and verification of employment, education, and certifications.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
Requires a bachelor’s degree. Major coursework in Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Psychology, or a related field of study. Minimum of five years of recruitment operations, talent acquisition experience required. Extensive experience with applicant tracking systems, talent acquisition trends, HR compliance requirements and laws related to talent acquisition is required. Exceptional people management skills with minimum of three years of experience leading a team required. SHRM-CP or PHR highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of organizations and management, including principles of supervision, and performance evaluation.
• Knowledge of budget preparation.
• Knowledge of City and Aviation Department policies.
• Knowledge of and skill using various software, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, PeopleSoft and MySuccess, and the continual ability to acquire additional skills as the tools change.
• Strong organizational and leadership skills with ability to plan, prioritize and organize work in a team environment.
• Skills to prepare and present clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Skills to oversee a budget and allocate resources in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to provide professional leadership, direction and guidance to staff and drive projects to completion and on schedule, to scope, and within budget.
• Ability to plan, develop, implement and administer goals, organize and supervise effective and efficient work programs.
• Ability to identify and analyze problems, provide alternatives and identify solutions in support of established goals, and project consequences of proposed actions.
• Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in establishing, applying and interpreting departmental policies and procedures.
• Ability to identify and effectively respond to issues, concerns and needs. Ability to actively pursue and develop new ideas, methods and procedures to meet changing situations.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City departments and the public, representing the airport in a professional, positive manner.
Prefer major coursework in Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Psychology, or a related field of study. Minimum of five years of recruitment operations, talent acquisition experience required. Extensive experience with applicant tracking systems, talent acquisition trends, HR compliance requirements and laws related to talent acquisition is required. Exceptional people management skills with minimum of three years of experience leading a team required. SHRM-CP or PHR highly desired.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and nine years related work experience
Associate's Degree and seven years related work experience
Bachelor's Degree and five years related work experience
Master's Degree and three years related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.