Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
Charlotte Water is an enterprise department of the City of Charlotte and one of the largest public water and sewer service providers in the southeast with 300,000 customer accounts and over 1000 employees. Our service area includes the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County and the towns of Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews and Pineville. Charlotte Water’s FY 23 budget is $535M and a five-year capital program of $2.5 billion. We enjoy the highest credit ratings from all three major credit rating agencies as a result of sound financial planning and management and strong support from our City Council. We value competent, skilled candidates with a customer service focus to work in a team environment.
This position provides administrative support for major administrative functions for Field Operations; inspects and investigates damages to Charlotte Water utilities and damages to other utilities by City crews. Work involves researching and analyzing data; identifying damages; taking photos; completing work orders; filing damage claims; approving cost summaries; turning water mains on/off; talking to contractors concerning damages; preparing documents and reports; supporting invoicing processes; maintaining databases; coordinating meetings, schedules, and events; maintaining related files; and providing customer service.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Conducts research and analyzes data regarding damages; including on-site investigations, contacting contractors, using maps and 811 ticket locator, and verifies damage is valid.
• Determines what utility has been damaged and who is at fault
• Calls for a service request; creates a work order; and arranges for the repair.
• Completes damage report; edits and updates that information into spreadsheet.
• Approves cost summaries to ensure that all invoices have been entered or billed
• Pumps down water with hand pump; turns water main valves and/or water meters
off; and checks valves at home for water pressure.
• Provides training to co-workers on an ongoing basis on the damage process.
• Provides customer service to internal and external customers.
• Performs special assignments for management; participates in special projects; and
prepares periodic and special reports as requested.
• Performs administrative tasks such as word processing, completing spreadsheets
copying, filing, faxing, entering data, making calculations, and processing mail.
• Works as member of a team.
• Performs research of information; enters data; extracts data for analysis; and
prepares, maintains, and produces lists, tables, and reports as requested.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, including Outlook and any other software
used within assigned area.
• Knowledge of word processing and Microsoft Excel
• Knowledge of the invoicing process.
• Knowledge of locating and damage investigation.
• Knowledge of customer service.
• Knowledge of telephone systems.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in establishing interpersonal effective working relationships.
• Skill in using math for cost summary purposes.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks within a team atmosphere.
• Ability to read maps and use related tools such as as-builts, Cityworks maps, Virtual
Charlotte, and GIS.
The work is light work and requires applying 10 pounds of force frequently exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crouching, manual dexterity, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, expressing ideas by spoken word, shouting above noises, visual acuity in data/color/observations/
equipment, and walking on uneven surfaces.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.
High school diploma or GED; associate degree or college coursework preferred.
• Two (2) years of related work experience in damages/locates and invoice
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires valid driver’s license
$51,317.00 - $57,018.00 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.