The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Stowe Regional Water Resource Recovery Facility (Stowe RWRRF), is a greenfield treatment plant currently in final design and will to soon start construction. Stowe will initially be a 15 MGD state of the art facility and will be the sixth major wastewater treatment plant in the Charlotte Water system. Stowe RWRRF will serve Western Mecklenburg County and the towns of Mount Holly and Belmont in Eastern Gaston County. Startup of treatment processes at the facility are anticipated to begin in the summer 2025, with final completion in 2026. The facilities major components include first and second stage influent pumping, preliminary treatment, flow equalization for wet weather and diurnal flows, primary clarifiers, 5-stage Bardenpho BNR basins with an emphasis on using densified activated sludge, secondary clarifiers, deep bed denitrification tertiary filters, UV disinfection and a reclaimed water system. Stowe RWRRF will not have a solids treatment train but will employ a solids pump station to send solids to another of Charlotte Waters facilities as part of a regional approach to solids treatment.
The position will serve as the Operator in Responsible Charge (ORC) and Plant Supervisor of the Stowe RWRRF. The treatment plant supervisor manages and oversees the daily operation of the treatment plant to ensure all local, state, and federal requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as the ORC of the Stowe Regional Water Resource Recovery Facility WWTP with the responsibility of meeting all permit requirements set by the State of North Carolina.
• Work closely in an interim period with the design team and witnessing construction of the plant before treatment starts.
• Responsible for the hiring of the initial plant staff, developing the filling system, procurement of supplies, SOP’s, and work instructions, etc.
• Develop, manage, and maintain an operating budget for the treatment plant.
• Supervise, manage, and provide directives to operational and maintenance staff to ensure optimal plant performance.
• Utilize and interpret plant process control data, plant operational trends, and data from plant instrumentation and SCADA systems to make operational and process adjustments to maintain NPDES compliance.
• Assist and participate on project design and construction teams. Help to develop scopes of work for plant rehab and upgrade projects. Work with department staff to identify plant equipment and treatment processes that should be considered for rehabilitation or replacement as a Capital Improvements Project.
• Work closely with contractors, vendors, consultants, and other departmental and City staff as needed and required.
• Work closely with process engineers and consultants with the startup of the plant proving densification.
• Ensure staff development and training needs occur including staff certification requirements.
• Associates and five (5) years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science
• High School Graduate or Equivalent
• Seven (7) years of wastewater experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
• Requires a NC Grade IV Biological Water Pollution Operator Certification.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The city is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.