The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
· Apply industry recognized standards and your interpersonal and teaching skills to present professional, content correct, and age-appropriate fire safety education programs.
· Meet the job performance requirements related to Fire and Life Safety Educator as outlined in the current edition of NFPA 1035, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire and Life Safety Educator; FEMA Public Information Officer, Youth Firesetter Intervention Specialist, and Youth Program Manager Professional Qualifications.
· Performing specialized educational work in preparing and presenting fire prevention and fire safety education programs within the CMS School system.
· Promoting the Fire and Life Safety efforts for the Fire Department.
· Demonstrate tact and courtesy during frequent contact with students and administrators, city officials, and the public.
· Work closely with regional and national fire safety organizations. Partner with public and private agencies to determine fire trends and best fire safety educational outreach practices within the City of Charlotte.
· Exercise initiative and independent judgement in all phases of work.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
General Information: Some weekend work maybe required due to the scheduling of special events. This position is non-supervisory and not protected by Civil Service.
· Possess any level of the North Carolina Fire and Life Safety Educator certification.
· Ability to obtain the North Carolina Fire and Life Safety Educator I, II, and III within specified time frame.
ADA and Other Requirements:
Positions in this class typically require grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Concentrated and attentive use of one or more senses (visual, audio, and other sensory modalities) for proofreading, data entry, and tabulating data.
Work is performed in an indoor or outdoor environment with moderate exposure to atmospheric conditions, moderate exposure to environmental conditions and frequent exposure to computer screens, files, and phone.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Education, Public Relations, Communications, or related field.
· One or more years of documented work experience in a progressively responsible public safety field involving educational programs, public relations, public contact work or public speaking experience.
· Possession of the North Carolina Fire and Life Safety Educator III certification.
High School Diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an Associates degree with one year of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The city is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law. Proof of vaccination is NOT required until a candidate receives and accepts a Conditional Offer of employment, at which time the candidate will be advised that proof must be submitted to CFD HR prior to the first date of employment.
How To Apply:
Conditions of Employment:
Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final
internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of
Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a
background check includes, but is not limited to reference checks, social
security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record
check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and
motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must follow all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. Some positions may require the ability to obtain a City Driving Permit. Candidates may also be required to pass a physical examination, polygraph exam, other skill evaluations and background check screens.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|