The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position will report directly to the IDS (Installation and Development Services) Division Manager.
This position will be responsible for managing the Construction, post-construction activities, and Project Close out teams for Donated Projects as well as supervising Construction Supervisors, Engineering Plan Reviewers, and Engineering Assistants.
This unit within IDS will administer the construction portion of Donated Projects following permit(s) acquisition and Development Contract execution. The unit will oversee inspection activities for each project, coordinate testing and perform the final acceptance of water/sewer infrastructure.
This is a senior level engineering position requiring expert knowledge in underground utility installation approaches, regulatory requirements and civil engineering principles.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Communicates with employees, contractors, customers, product representatives as necessary.
• Implement and Administer CCTV Program: shall include performing or overseeing Point of Contact with responsible developer party, Coordinate Final Inspections, Incorporation of CCTV, and interpretation of CCTV Videos
• Oversee compliance and enforcement of water and sanitary sewer infrastructure installation activities with respect to applicable local ordinances, regulatory requirements and adopted design standards
• Supervise team of office and field staff in the construction inspection and acceptance process of water and sanitary sewer infrastructure installations.
• Coordinate, review and approve Revisions to Approved Plans (RTAPS)
• Review submitted plans upon request for constructability
• Review shop drawings and sewer cut sheets
• Provide Engineer Certifications for Donated Projects upon acceptance
• Oversee project close out and as-built review process.
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be familiar with a host of Microsoft office products, such as excel, word, etc. as well as CLT Explorer, Polaris, Adobe Acrobat, Bluebeam, Accela Plan Review Software and GIS. Must be able to learn new software products as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of engineering and construction principles for installation of water and sanitary sewer infrastructure.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills on both an individual level and for larger more diverse audiences as well as conflict resolution.
• Knowledge of Federal and State rules governing public water and sewer collection systems.
• Skill in supervising a work group with diverse responsibilities and performance measures.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing to a varied audience.
• Skill in working with Microsoft Office, including Excel and word.
• Skill in applying customer service methods.
• Ability to demonstrate composure under tight deadlines.
• Ability to read, interpret, and redline infrastructure and civil engineering plans.
• Ability to apply independent judgment.
• Ability to create and maintain spreadsheets, charts, and graphs.
• Ability to obtain City driving authorization.
• Ability to work in a diverse work environment, managing many varying priorities and needs for engineering service.
• Possess or ability to gain a good working knowledge of the City of Charlotte’s Land Development and Mecklenburg County’s Code Enforcement processes.
• Ability to make sound decisions based on limited information.
• Ability to learn, interpret and enforce Charlotte City Code and Charlotte Water policy.
• NASSCO and PACP certifications.
• Distribution System Certification.
• Collection System Certification.
• Minimum of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or Construction Management and 5 years of progressive experience or Master of Engineering and 3 years of progressive experience in the water and wastewater industry.
• A minimum of 1 year of successful leadership or supervisory experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
• Valid driver’s license and a good driving record are required.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.