The GIS Planner will be part of the Research & GIS program area of the Charlotte Planning Department. This program area is part of the Long-Range & Strategic Planning Division and provides GIS and analytical support to all other divisions in the department, as well as other city-wide initiatives. The GIS Planner position is a project support position responsible for completing GIS-focused planning-related tasks.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Planning GIS expert responsible for maintaining many of the GIS layers that are used by the six divisions of the Planning Department.
- Assist with data and mapping needs of high-profile community-wide initiatives, such as the Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan and the Charlotte Unified Development Ordinance.
- Serve as primary data and mapping support resource for Land Development and Entitlement Services divisions of the Planning Department.
- Coordinate with Planning and I&T to ensure that Accela software and Planning GIS data is functioning correctly.
- Assist with dashboard creation and metric tracking for the Comprehensive Plan Implementation team.
- Ensure that Planning follows city-wide policies regarding data publishing, data maintenance, and data security protocols.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain adequate and appropriate working relationships.
- Proficiency with ArcGIS suite of products, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS 10.7 and ArcGIS Online.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with Tableau Desktop 2021.4
- Knowledge of GIS concepts and ability to create and maintain maps, spatial datasets, tables, and other geospatial data.
- Ability to create visually pleasing maps using sound cartographic principles.
- Ability to complete highly technical tasks efficiently and accurately, often under tight deadlines.
- Ability to use problem-solving and spatial analyses to answer Planning related questions.
- Ability to perform effectively and efficiently with a moderate level of supervision
- Familiarity with 3D spatial data
- Community engagement experience
- Public presentation skills
- Four-Year degree in Planning, Architecture, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Political Science, Public Administration, Social Science or related degree and five or more years of related work experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience necessary to perform the essential job functions
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects and fulfill multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Two or more years of GIS-related planning experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021, the City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.