The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position assists in CCTV inspections of sewer mains. Work involves assisting in performing wastewater main inspections; assisting in maintaining camera equipment in good operating condition by adjusting, cleaning, lubricating, and performing minor repairs; safely storing equipment; and following safety procedures. This position helps to respond to incoming requests for pipeline inspections and assists with complaint resolutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs semi-skilled tasks in the wastewater collection systems including maintenance, inspection of sewer lines, and camera maintenance.
• Assists in performing manhole and CCTV inspections.
• Assists with inspections, including necessary preparation procedures.
• Inspects truck.
• Operates CCTV inspection equipment and some heavy equipment.
• Assists in responding to incoming requests for pipeline inspections or in conjunction with preventative maintenance schedules.
• Helps respond to customer issues.
• Assists in maintaining accurate reports and records on assigned work activities.
• Follows company health and safety procedures.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of operating and maintaining closed circuit television equipment for sewer inspection or maintenance.
• Knowledge of sewer service laterals.
• Knowledge of proper safety practices.
• Skill in operating small, medium, and heavy equipment.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to read and interpret topo maps and plans.
• Ability to resolve conflict within a team.
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, and the general public.
The work is heavy work and requires applying up to 20 pounds of force constantly; applying 30 pounds of force frequently; and exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crouching, manual dexterity, grasping, handling, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, manual dexterity, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking, shouting above noises, visual acuity in data/color/observations/equipment/inspections, and walking.
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited school.
• Three (3) years of related work experience, preferably CCTV experience
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Desires Pipeline Assessment Certification Program (PACP) credentials.
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
• Requires a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL – with tanker endorsement) or obtain within one year of hire.
$40,208.00 - $44,674.00/YR Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.